Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,627 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO

Quit last night due to risks to my baby

15 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My Sharona, (Like who didn't know I was going to sneak that reference in!)

Come here for support, stick to the plan, and always remember, this too shall pass. I promise.

Jeff aka Api

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 76
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,040
Amount Saved: $1,368.00
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 0 Mins: 26 Seconds: 12

15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Sharona.....The quit-meter is a a nice thing.....you see your results everyday.  It helps.  Post here when you need.....no matter how often that is.......you will get reinforcement and encouragement.  You're doing this for yourself and the baby...your peace of mind and the baby's safety.  Great reasons!!
Don't try to look too far ahead.......Concentrate on each day and each crave.......Do reward yourself......sometimes I just look in the mirror and tell myself I did good.
We're all pulling for you

Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 24
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 720
Amount Saved: $100.80
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 1 Mins: 47 Seconds: 30

15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sharona
    Welcome to this group. I have few days under my belt, but I can tell you that this group has made a difference in my quit; Although every person experiments quitting in differents ways, the truth is, that having a support group helps a lot.
     I'm on Chantix and also attended an Allen Carr Seminar. Congratulations on your decision to quit.
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 28
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 420
Amount Saved: $42.00
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 4 Mins: 21 Seconds: 40

15 years ago 0 67 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome to the SSC Sharona.  So glad to meet you.  Congratulations on your decision to become smoke free.  We are all here to help you through this journey so stay close, you are not alone.    Jo

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/26/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 116
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,320
Amount Saved: $417.60
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 12 Mins: 33 Seconds: 42

15 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sharona! Welcome to the SSC! You have found the best place for help when quitting! Dp the program, read all you can. There is a lot to learn here! Knowledge is power and you will be very glad you made the decision to quit.
We all enjoyed smoking in the past, but there comes a time when we need to realize we are addicted. Stick with us! We'll help you quit! Congratulations!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 717
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 17,925
Amount Saved: $7,564.35
Life Gained:
Days: 94 Hrs: 23 Mins: 35 Seconds: 25

15 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Sharona  The other members have given you good advice. Just want to say that I'm here to add my support. When my children were little we didn't know anything about second hand smoke. Now there's third hand smoke , the residue left after the smoker is gone. Imagine that !!! Read the posts when you have the time. There's a lot of knowledge here. breather 100 Addict 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 100
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,000
Amount Saved: $2,400.00
Life Gained:
Days: 18 Hrs: 11 Mins: 35 Seconds: 53

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sharona, so glad you found SSC.  Are you going to quit cold turkey or are you going to use an NRT like Chantix, Gum, Patches, etc.?  Here's what I recommend you do.  Go through "my program" so you are 110 prepared for this quit.  Add yout stats to your postings from "my profile".  Set up a reward system to celebrate each passing crave, each day smoke free, and each week smoke free.  Read, read, and read some more.  Search for topics like new baby, pregnancy, cold turkey or NRT, anything that is on your mind.  Because chances are very good that somebody has already gone through what you are going through.  Drink lots of iced water.  Flush all those toxins out of your system.  Every time you have a craving drink iced water, eat carrot sticks, celery, pretzels, or licorice.  Altoids work too!  We're all a bunch of addicts.  Once you understand the addiction and how to deal with stress, will power, triggers, and urges you'll be on your way to becoming smoke free.  You've made a wonderful decision to protect your baby.  You've made a wonderful decision to protect your own life.  This quit is all about you!  You can do it!  We're all rooting for your success!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 183
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,320
Amount Saved: $1,464.00
Life Gained:
Days: 27 Hrs: 10 Mins: 1 Seconds: 8

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to SSC Sharona!  You've come to the right place for support.  This is a good group.  Dave's given you some great advice - stick close and it really helps.  I know you're scared, it's a scary thing.  But you can do this.  Set up your quit meter and you may want to talk with your doctor about NRTs.  Lots of people here have had success with them.  Good luck, we're rooting for you.  Congratulations on your baby and on your decision to quit!
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 51
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 612
Amount Saved: $269.28
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 15 Mins: 8 Seconds: 33

15 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome.  You have made a great first step.  Read up on the materials in the tools/resources.  Become informed.  Share your feelings through the forums.  Post your progress in a Blog.  Before you know it you will have been on the site for 3-4 hours and not had a smoke!  Yay! 

We all know what you what you're going through (well, except for the pregnancy part).

Make the commitment to become smoke-free!  You can do it.

Dave

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 31
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 930
Amount Saved: $204.60
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 4 Mins: 47 Seconds: 30

• Quit Meter

$50,615.82

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1127 Hours: 15

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi.  I smoked for past 8 years.  I have 3 teenage children. I have a 6 week old baby and sadly (and ashamed to say) I didnt quite get off the smoke during the pregnancy.  I had to come off 2 medications also before having baby and I would have good days and not so good days during pregnancy with the smokes.  Hubby smokes also. I have always been extremely paranoid about SIDS.  Might sound stupid to some, but I had no idea that smoking during pregnancy was now a risk factor. Wasnt when I had my others.  It's bad enough that I knew about the other risk factors and still couldnt stop.  So now I find myself obsessively worrying about SIDS and that I have done damage and we are doomed (sounds very negative but that's my state of mind at the moment).  I spoke to a SIDS counsellor and they recommended this site.  They assured me that stopping even now will still cut down the risks to my baby as even though we smoked no where near the baby and always washed our hands afterwards etc, the toxins still hang around. That is enough motivation to me.  However, I am worried.  I enjoy smoking and hate my lack of will power, but this has scared the hell out of me.  I need support and hope I can find this here.  Thanks.

Reading this thread: