Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

PM is coughing part

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PM,

Congrats on 6 smoke-free days!  Try a hot bath or listen to some soothing music to help get your mind off the craving and back to sleep.  The sleeping disturbance is only temporary.  Members, have you experienced similar symptoms and how did you overcome them? 
Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi glad that your back from vacation. its been 6 days for me smoke free. and  I get cravings at strange times. Like 2:00 Am. Then I can't get back to sleep. But I have to find a substitute other than candy. I went to a Nicoatine Anonymous meeting last night that went very well, I like these meetings thier are only 5 members in are group and we all support one another, We exchange  phone numbers to contact each other if someone gets a bad craving thay just call anyone in the group for support and it works.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 240
Amount Saved: $75.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 23 Mins: 34 Seconds: 11

• Quit Meter

$115,841.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8849 Hours: 18

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi PM!

Hey Bud!  I'm still here - was gone on vacation all last week!  Yea coughing is totally normal - you gotta get out all that tar and stuff out of your body somehow!  This is the normal process the body is using to heal itself.   The coughing does get better over time!  I'm on day 49 and while I still have cravings at times it has gotten so much easier!  This last vacation one of my sisters were smoking out by the outside deck table where we were sitting - I felt the urge to have a drag and so I thought I would go inside and get a peice of Nico gum out of my purse.  By the time I walked inside the house I forgot what I even came in there for as the craving was already gone that quick.   But it could be from old age setting in why I forgot   - either OR bottom line I didn't smoke and the urge hardly lasted anytime at all.

My coughing is almost non exhistant (well not like it was that gross sounding smokers cough) at least now when I cough I sound like the average person and not like I am coughing up a lung or something.

Hang in there it gets better and better as time goes on!  I refuse to let cigarettes/nicotine have control over my life anymore.  I did for 30 some years thats long enough!  No MORE!

Laurie (freespirit)

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 49
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,225
Amount Saved: $260.31
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 9 Mins: 53 Seconds: 5

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pm the cough is normal, should happen to us all. My husband was worried when he didn't get the cough! He thought maybe his lungs were too damaged to repair themselves.
Hang on in there, seems like your body is starting to feel the benefit of your quit already.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 151
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,775
Amount Saved: $2,265.00
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 18 Mins: 28 Seconds: 6

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PM,

This cough is most likely a withdrawal symptom. As a smoker, the cilia (the little “hairs” in your lungs) come back to life after you quit and begin to rebuild. They start to clean the bronchial tubes and remove the mucous, often resulting in occasional coughs or coughing fits. This cleaning improves your breathing and helps get rid of your smoker’s cough. It’s great news because it means your lungs are healing!

The coughing can last for anywhere from a week to a month post quit. To help make sure that you're drinking lots of water or hot tea. Citrus flavoured drinks such as lemon tea are great for helping too.

Members, Share some other tips that helped get you through your post-quit cough.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yup....This is very common....Your lungs are healing themselves and trying to get rid of the $hit that we put in our system for so long....This may sound weird but look at the coughing as a good thing...

Mr Q

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 65
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,560
Amount Saved: $487.50
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 23 Mins: 46 Seconds: 24

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi members is coughing part of hell week its day 5.  I been coughing up Brown stuff or is this part of my flu. How long do you think this will this last? Coughing in the middle of the night and it wakes me up, Sometimes 2:00 am 3:00 am , Then I cant get back to sleep this stinks.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 160
Amount Saved: $50.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 19 Mins: 26 Seconds: 58

• Quit Meter

$115,841.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8849 Hours: 18