Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,667 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Thank you for the words

15 years ago 0 1107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Crik, and welcome!!!

You are already ahead by not smoking for a couple of days. The first week will be the hardest, and then it will get progressively easier to deal with any kind of cravings that come along.

Just remember to post before you smoke, and wait for at least five responses.

Then the craving will disappear, and you will never smoke again.

Keep it going and let's get this done!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 232
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,280
Amount Saved: $1,461.60
Life Gained:
Days: 41 Hrs: 17 Mins: 4 Seconds: 36

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Crik and welcome- I know kind of what you  mean by that voice in your brain- the voice that tries to justify why it would be OK to just have one more smoke- but you just have to learn to ignore it and honestly in a few minutes its gone- there is NO justification for smoking- you already know that. Please believe me when I say the voice get less and less with each day that passes.
Hang on in there you're doing so great already with two days down

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 37
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 925
Amount Saved: $555.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 9 Mins: 6 Seconds: 36

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Crik and welcome... and congratulations on fighting through these first two days; only today and tomorrow until the nicotine has left your body.
  Try to remember that there's no "voice" and there's no "nicodemon" - these are all just ways of saying that your addiction is right there in your mind.   Your body (brain) is addicted to nicotine and your brain craves more and more of it all the time. You can break that addiction by following this programme and by reading the experiences of the other members in here who have battled their cravings successfully... read up on the phemomenon of nicotine and how it stimulates rather than 'calms' you down... how it ruins your lungs and energy;and masks your problem solving psychology.

It's all you in there! You have to battle against the physical dependence of the nicotine ( it can take about 72 hours or even 3-4 days) and then learn new habits to deal with the psychological loss of that cigarette-crutch. When you're bored, happy, after you've eaten, when you're "blue", when you're satisfied, triumphant, ashamed, guilty, angry, peaceful... it's all the same.  We know all this stuff because we've all experienced it ourselves and we'd like it if you could get some support from that experience...   Your body has to learn to do without the stimulus-reward of nicotine.

You talk about "other humans" - is that a hint that you love your animal-pets? Do you have dogs or cats? If so, think of their lungs when you smoke in the room where they live.... save yourself and them!!  Stay Quit!!  N.O.P.E.... 

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 150
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,750
Amount Saved: $1,687.50
Life Gained:
Days: 27 Hrs: 21 Mins: 18 Seconds: 19

15 years ago 0 744 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

The Nico Monster puts his two cents worth in those conflicting voices. Give him a big ole flip, yeah, when he's sittin on your shoulder telling you why you should smokke that cigarette, reach over and flip his wicked self! Give him a flip for me too. Work the program, it's very helpful and post here when you need to. Hang tough. You're doing well.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/17/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 700
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,600
Amount Saved: $2,625.00
Life Gained:
Days: 78 Hrs: 16 Mins: 38 Seconds: 34

15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Rusty.  I am trying to take in your words.  They do give me a brief moment of hope/power when I believe them. But don't you have conflicting voices in your brain?
Tools,yes

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/14/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 1
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 20
Amount Saved: $5.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 6 Mins: 36 Seconds: 25

15 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Start being proud of yourself, you have 2 days, that is great!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/4/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 347
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,940
Amount Saved: $1,388.00
Life Gained:
Days: 46 Hrs: 18 Mins: 1 Seconds: 1

15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Crik,

You're okay to start a new thread. You may benefit from working the program tools, it will help you plan ahead for moments such as the one you are describing. 

Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Crik, you're fine in starting a new thread. In terms of that voice, it seems like you are de-personalizing it, or separating yourself from it. No doubt about it...that is you saying those things and you are the only one who can control it. If not you, who? Whether it's day 3 or day 6 or day 10 or day 1,279, we are the ones who make the choice, not some disembodied voice somewhere. And it is a choice. You choose each minute, each hour and each day whether or not you will smoke. Take responsibility for choosing not to smoke today. Then reward yourself. Do that every day and you will become a non-smoker.

Rusty

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1280
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 65,280
Amount Saved: $14,688.00
Life Gained:
Days: 114 Hrs: 5 Mins: 22 Seconds: 54

15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you.  Other humans help so much. This is day 2. What has happened for the past months is that I get to day 6 or 10 or so.  Then a voice says, "I am going to smoke" and I get myself to a cigarette before I can change its mind.Well , actually I have tried to change its mind. And failed.

Question:  Should I have posted to my original message for this or started  new topic as I've done?

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/14/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 1
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 20
Amount Saved: $5.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 5 Mins: 38 Seconds: 39

Reading this thread: