Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Rewards

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Litsa,

Here is what some of the members said about rewards on our Facebook page:

• When I first quit, each week on Thur I would treat myself to a cappuccino because I loved them so much but high in calories so I didn't want too many of the. But as time went on and I saved more money I had, facials, massages, pedi/mani, trips, a trinket that caught my eye, anything I wanted. Two reasons I bought so much......I saved money by not smoking and I figured I worked hard and I deserved a nice treat!! Don't hesitate, do it!!
  • I got satisfaction from just telling different family members friends etc. about my each and every milestone LOL i still brag about it and iam 10 years into my quit Someone told me one day, Do you know that you have been quit for years and you still talk about it ?? I said and do you know until i quit you never stayed off my butt about it anyway hang in there and reward yourself in anyway that makes you fel good Good luck to ya
  •  I rewarded myself with a new skin product, or trip to the salon. I wanted the outside to reflect how I felt inside after my quit 
  • What i do on my anniversary ( 1 Year in November) is look back at the times i said i can't go one more day without a cigarette & i did manage not to smoke that day. Keep the faith.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Litsa! 

I am a great believer in rewards!    I used one every day like a carrot on the end of the stick.  For me, that carrot was a beautiful tasting beer at the end of the day if I was a good boy and didn't smoke!  It worked then and is still working to this very day! 

For one major milestone, I bought a new laptop with the money I had saved, so that I would always have access to the SSC, as work was cracking down on non work related internet usage.  The next thing that I used my quit savings for as a special reward was a new big screen television!  My next big reward is going to be a scuba diving trip somewhere really nice.  Hopefully that will be my 5 year reward next year!

I have bumped forward a thread in the Forum for New Users and General Discussion, "Free or No Cost Rewards" for you to peruse!  There is some good stuff there, but you may need to dig back a ways.  I encourage everyone else to feel free to add to the thread and keep it alive for all of our new quit buddies here!

Hang in there Litsa!  You're doing great!  Keep your eyes in the real prize... FREEDOM!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,250.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 0

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My rewards have been varied and intermittent. This is for two reasons. 1) I'm not the most organized person, so timing a reward to match specific milestones is a bit difficult for me. 2) As a behaviorist, I believe that random/ intermittent reinforcement is the most effective. 

That all being said, here are some things I have indulged in with the idea that smoking would have prevented these either physically or financially: more dinners out, a gym membership (something I had been wanting for a while, but didn't feel I had the money for until I quit smoking), an upgrade in to my phone/ phone service (internet and apps gave me something to do with my hands instead of smoking), longer and more frequent bike rides than I used to take (since I'm in better aerobic condition now), and a couple of pairs of toe shoes that have made my sore feet feel so much better

I am contemplating a big reward around the time I reach the one year mark. I have always disliked my physical shape, as I have skinny legs and butt with a thick waistline. Even when I'm in very good condition, I'm still disproportionately thick in the middle. For me, it's genetic, but, according to my research, it was also aggravated by my smoking. So I was thinking of going to get Coolsculpting, a procedure to freeze fat cell in specific areas--usually used for belly fat or thigh saddlebags. Supposedly, the fat cells will gradually die off and leave the body in 2-4 months after the procedure. The cost of the procedure is about the same as I would have spent on cigarettes for a year. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it, but it's a thought. 

• Quit Meter

$22,531.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 6

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great topic Litsa!

Many people overlook rewards during their quit but rewards are an important part of behaviour change.

Some people have a money jar where they put their saved money and spend it on something special when a reward is  in order. But some of the best rewards don't involve money; a long phone conversation with a friend you don't normally talk to, a walk in the park with someone special, a celebratory dinner, etc. Just as long as you take come time to congratulate yourself and be present to all you have accomplished.

11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My big one for my 3 month anniversary was a trip to New York with the money I had been putting aside which is what I saved not smoking.  Some little rewards I used were a special treat for myself like a specialty coffee at my favourite cafe, going to a yoga class after a particularily tough day, enjoying a dinner out, allowing some "me" time e.g.a relaxing buuble bath, doing some reading.  Other rewards including cutting myself some slack e.g. in the beginning I was sleeping really badly and irritable so I would forgive myself for not finishing all the chores on my "to do" list on those days.  I would allow myself the time to meet with a friend for a couple of hours to chat.  Another reward for me was excercising because I became awre of how much more and with how much more ease I could do things compared to when I smoked.  Not having a stinky car was also rewarding.  So in a nutshell, some rewards were actual tangible things wheras others just happened as a result of not smoking,, much like waht Rose said about not being conscious anymore of a ilestone.
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me the biggest reward was when I didn't notice that I had reached a milestone..
I hadn't thought about smoking at all on my milestone day..
This was the best reward of all..

Red... 
11 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I am struggling with the concept of rewarding myself for reaching quit milestones and would like your help. Can you give me some suggestions? What rewards do you give yourself for milestones achieved?

Reading this thread: