Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,523 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

Vacation Time

12 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Laura!!!

First of all, congrats on your great quit so far!!!  Two whole months smoke free and on your way to a beautiful island!!!  When you first step off that plane, just breath in that great fresh island air and give yourself a pat on the back for making the decision to quit and following through!  Then, grab your kids' hands and go have FUN!!!  What a great reward!!!  Don't worry about smoking down there because you are a non- smoker now and you are going to have a great time!

And please.... DON'T bring us back any of those disgusting Cuban cigars!!!  

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 14

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for your advice.  I'm hoping that I can conquer this "first".  I will have to deal with this head on.  As I get closer to the date and preparing everything I need, I was getting so anxious.  But I guess I will make one more trip to the drug store, pick up some NRT's, I think I have expired ones in my house too.  I have 3 books of my favourite author that I am looking forward to reading as I lay on the beach, which in the past I would have been puffing away.  I also have my two beautiful girls with me this time, which is my constant reminder of why I am a non-smoker.  They are so excited to go, I probably would't have time to smoke as I get off the plane...I will be too busy chasing them (a 2 year old and a 4 year old have so much energy)!
Here's hoping to posting my stats at 70 something days! 
Thanks again everyone

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi : ) You've received some great advice here already - and it's good that you are aware of your potential triggers when it comes to your past holiday experience.  If having a smoke as soon as you jump off the plane felt like your holiday reward, perhaps it's time to find a new tradtition - say browse a gift shop for a new sun hat - and put a feather in your cap instead of lighting up that smoke!  Or maybe you could get out the exact amount of money you'd normally buy on smokes and get yourself a nice cappuccino or fresh fruit smoothie to sip on while you reward yourself for remembering NOPE!  And don't forget how lucky you are to be able to enjoy this time away!  You see you already have Karren jealous of your dream holiday!   . . . and me too!  NOPE along with some mindful trigger avoidance& awareness  will get you through.  Enjoy : )   Eyja
12 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Laura, first of all, I am so jealous, your holiday sounds like a dream.....BUT  there's no reason to think that enjoying a holiday has to include smoking again. I understand how you used to think it was part of the enjoyment. But really it means you'll be a slave to the habit again, always taking time out to find somewhere to smoke and generally having the holiday dominated by meeting your smoking needs.
Sometimes we need to face these new challenges head on and deal with them. Think how proud you'll feel when you come back from Cuba having kept to your quit, and also consider how mad you'll be if you do have to come back and know you've gone off track, back at Day 1 again? You're 58 days in which is such a fantastic achievement, you can do it and have a wonderful time too.  We shall look forward to a smoke free trip report!
12 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello edwarl2 Yes you should be proud of your 58 days. I can understand being apprehensive about the trip. Stopping smoking is a series of firsts. First trip , first Christmas , first birthday etc. My first Christmas smoke free I agonised over going to a party because I knew there would be temptations there. As it turned out I drank in moderation , spent most of the time with smokers ( up wind of them ) of course , had a good time and didn't have to smoke. Every year there's another Christmas or trip that you can enjoy without having to light up. If you're worried that you might relapse bring a NRT in your suitcase. I bought the patch early in my quit and never used it but had it just in case of emergency. That reminds me to get the pharmacy to get rid of it because it was never used and expired long ago. As it turned out I was worried about nothing at all. So enjoy your flight and your vacation in moderation knowing that you have no need to smoke. You can do this. Excellent for you. breather
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Edwarl2,

This is a tough one. First of all, please remember NOPE. One puff is never ok and it will definitely bring you back to smoking full time.

Normally we would recommend to avoid potential trigger situations until you are confident that you can get through it but since you already booked this reward it will be important for you to keep your guard up.  Acknowledge the fact that you will probably have cravings and that this will be a challenge. Also acknowledge the fact that you have already come this far and you have the strength to get through this. What do you think you need to do to ensure you will get through this smoke free? How can you protect yourself if a crave hits? Think about when you might have a trigger and have plans in place if and when these triggers appear.  Also, take a look at the emergency quit plan in the education section.

You will get through this and be stronger in your quit because of this.  Just be sure you are prepared with information and determination.

Have a great time!

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have reached 58 days of being smoke free and I'm proud of it.  I decided last month that I wanted to take a family vacation.  So I have booked the all inclusive trip to Cuba for the whole family.  And as soon as I booked it, after the initial excitement, the next thing that went through my head was....I can't smoke!!!!  Which very quickly I changed to I won't smoke.  I am a non-smoker...not one puff ever! 
Of course I tried talking to friends, which of course smokers are always...oh one smoke won't kill you...or don't beat yourself up, just enjoy yourself, if you want to smoke...well then smoke.  Then you talk to the non-smokers who really don't understand, they just say, well don't smoke.
Now less than two weeks away, I'm really worried about going off track...I mean in Cuba, I used to light up as soon as I got off the plane....what do I do now???  At home I have my routine.  I have stayed away from drinking just to avoid the craving of a smoke.  But an all inclusive trip...where the alcohol is free flowing...any advice?
Laura

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 07/01/2012
Smoke-Free Days: 58
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 348
Amount Saved: $435.00
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 6 Mins: 53 Seconds: 34

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0