Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

high anxiety situations

16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quig, Do the same thing you did in the first three days of your quit. You can still do it and I think you'll find it much easier now than it was then. Don't forget what you've learned, you'll need those skills often for awhile. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 184 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,680 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $772.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 29 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
we ARE such winners! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 177 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,080 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,203.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi quignov, For me it was a combination of desire, determination, self-talk and a very large portion of teeth-gritting! It got me through the toughest of times and here I am now - a winner! Good Luck Penitent :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/18/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1215 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24,300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �6,075.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 195 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$56,958.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1128 Hours: 4

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quig, Good for you for preparing ahead of time. I think nonic has it right on about the process of dealing with stress while remaining smoke free. I also think what unhooked said is what you need to remember in the moment; [quote] Try to keep in mind that it was never the smoking itself that calmed your anxiety, it was the distraction, the removing yourself from the situation & the taking a minute to think clearly. So make sure you still do all those things, just without smoking. [/quote] Maybe printing that out and keeping it with you would be helpful. Kind of an "In Event of Emergency, Break Glass" type of thing. Two of the closest times I came to smoking during this quit were in response to highly charged emotional situations. One of those times I could not leave the situation other than by walking into the darkness of an unfamiliar woods, so I had to come up with different strategies. I breathed like a locomotive for about five minutes and kept reminding myself that I did not smoke anymore, that smoking would not change the situation and then whipped out a list of things to help with cravings that I had with me. It worked. I didn't smoke. Again, good work on preparing instead of just reacting. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 176 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,196.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, yes, Sparky, the visualization. I forgot that & it's so important. I almost get nauseous when I actually imagine myself smoking, that helps a lot in those stressful times. If you can, quignov, imagine the actual sensation of that gross, disgusting smoke getting sucked into your lungs & the filthy smell of it, too. Always does it for me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 124 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,364.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, you got a lot of good information here. I can't add much more. What I do is ask myself (the repeater that I am) "Is it really worth it? Do you really want to start day one all over again? Will smoking changed people, places and things?" Of course the answer is NO. What that junkie has done to me mentally, physically and spiritually is amazing. I do visual also. Think about the inhale, now think about the exhale. When you inhale smoke you are bring death to your lungs and when you exhale smoke you are blowing out all that was good. So I choose to breathe in life and exhale unwanted stuff (can't think of the word :blush:) Keep the Quit Sparky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 137 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,370 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $411.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quignov Here is the rub...For years we have believed that cigarettes "get us through" difficult situations. The truth is that a cigarette never solved a problem. We solve problems and we can do it with or without smoking. This is what I mean when I say we must quit from the inside out. Once you begin to really understand that this is all about modifying our own behavior, we get a deeper understanding of why we smoke and at the same time allow ourselves not to smoke. When I run into situations that would have in the past sent me to the smoking lounge, I immediately put some space between myself and the situation. This can be done physically or mentally. Once you give yourself the space, you will be better able to decide not to smoke. If on the other hand you allow the situation to be right in your face, there is a very good likely hood that you will smoke...This is especially true when you have not had a lot of practice at not smoking. Remember, smoking is a behavior that we have ingrained in ourselves, it is a defense mechanism that we never needed to develop. However, we have done this and now must use all of our strength to change that decision. The difficult thing about being an addict is that we are both the observed and the observer. That is a very difficult thing to be. However, as you practice the new behaviors (coping mechanisms), you will develop a new way of being that does not include smoking. Quitting smoking is more than the cessation of an act (smoking). This is a whole process of developing new and creative ways of depending on our internal resources to help us handle those awkward situations that always arise as a part of human existance. There are organic reasons that we smoke as well...Without getting into a discussion of neurotransmitters etc., suffice it to say that we have really done a job on our receptors (those for dopamine and other neurotransmitters)...Alot of the depression and anxiety that we experience is due to our lack or overabundance of these substances as nicotine uses these receptors because, well, nature never counted on us ingesting a pesticide. Just keep practicing the coping skills, deep breathing, exercise, water, water and more water...YOU CAN DO THIS...Part of it is faith and part of it is will and part it is just plain old practice...Hang in there and write often here, everyone here wants you to succeed, you just need to keep going... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 263 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,890 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,761.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$66,717.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1376 Hours: 15

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Qugnov! Yes self talk is a big part of it. But you will find as you go longer in your quit, you get stronger and your internal voice also gets stronger. What I did, was tell myself "Smoking is NOT an option, so I have to do something else." That shut up the junkie and opened up the door to think of something else to do to relax or distract. I also used a straw or stir stick to chew on from time to time. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 193 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,825 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,036.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey, quig. This has been a tough on efor me at times, I'm a little tightly wrapped. What I have done is go back to day one. Breathe, drink water, chew on something. Try to keep in mind that it was never the smoking itself that calmed your anxiety, it was the distraction, the removing yourself from the situation & the taking a minute to think clearly. So make sure you still do all those things, just without smoking. Also, recognize junkie thinking right away & dismiss it for what it is. Don't get into a debate with the junkie, just tell him you don't smoke anymore so you're going to deal with the problem in another way, end of story. You're looking great, quignov! You're doing it & doing it in fine style! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 124 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,364.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am happy with how my quit smoking journey has been thus far. As expected, there have been tough times. I've made it through them and have continued to not smoke. I have learned much about the negative aspects of smoking...even more so that I had previously known. I am now becoming more comfortable with myself as a non-smoker and my guard is beginning to lower... This is where the potential problem is, and what I would like to do is ensure that, when a high anxiety situation arises in the future, I have a good idea of how to handle is properly instead of the nicodemon controlling my functions and rushing me to the nearest convenience store. So, my question here is, how do you all handle situations that are high anxiety and/or stress; situations which are so difficult that you automatically think of smoking (even though you successfully do not)? What do you all use to prevent a relapse? Is it self-talk? Is there something else that anybody does? Any response is greatly appreciated... Cheers, Quig [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12

Reading this thread: