Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Worrying

10 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you guys so much for all the replies! I'm glad this is something other people have experienced and you guys are so right that I would feel even worse if I'd smoked. I know that today; yesterday was a different story! Ashley, so far I have yet to find a really effective stress reduction technique other than exercise, which I have been doing so much of that I don't know if I can do much more without actually hurting myself. This dump the husband and I rent doesn't even have a bathtub, which has been bothering me a lot lately because a nice relaxing bath would be great. If I do find a good way I'll let you guys know.

Anyway. I made it through, and I'm about to go to bed after another day as a non-smoker. I had volunteering tonight (I tutor low-income kids in writing) and one of my students actually commented that I look pretty lately, which was nuts because they really never notice anything unless it's exceptional. I actually had a really special night at the tutoring center with a couple of the kids I work with. One has a lot of behavioral problems and we've been working on her use of inappropriate language, and tonight she actually apologized to me after using a curse word, which was totally unprecedented. Also, I decided to spend my cigarette money on Spanish lessons, which I start tomorrow, and my kids and their parents were really excited about that.

Working with the kids doesn't have too much to do with being a non-smoker -- I've done it for years -- but it does make me think about having kids of my own one day and how I really don't want to be smoking when that time comes. So that's a good non-smoking thought to keep at the forefront of my mind. They are really great kids, too, and I'd be heartbroken if one of them ever happened to see me with a cigarette.

That's all I've got for now. I wish this were easier but I'm proud of myself for getting this far.

10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kristine,

Congratulations on one month! You are through Zombie Month - the hardest month to pass. Also, congrats on trying to start a new career. When you start anything new it can be intimidating but don't let the anxiety of it make you forget who you are and what you have to offer. Don't worry about glamorous, no one can relate to glamorous anyways.

I hate to say it but these cravings are a normal step in the road. It sounds like you are past the physical addiction but in some ways the behavioural addiction is much harder to get over. You feel there is a void - like you can't relax without cigarettes and that's because there is a void! Now you need to think up new strategies to help you cope with worry and anxiety. Posting here is a great option. What do you think are some other options you could try to work in?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow! Kristine,

The Nicodemon/your addiction, or however you see the problem, really had a good go at you!  First he/it attacks your self esteem and gives you self doubt, then he turns it all into one giant craving.

He is trying to persuade you to give in to the addiction and ' just have one cigarette' as it will make you feel better and solve all your worries!  WRONG!!!  Thank Goodness your car parking was a problem!

I hate to tell you, but you may have quite a few more times when you will have to battle the Nicodemon's attempts to undermine your quit.  Just bear that night in mind when you do, and think how close you came to losing a good month of quit!

Take note of what Working says.  You are doing really well.  Keep on keeping on and.......

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!!! 

Love Lolly.    

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kristine,

It actually sounds like you are not doing too badly for being a month in. Things have calmed down, but you were triggered by an emotional night. It happens.

I remember having one of those at some point early on in my quit. I was involved in a complicated discussion with a lot of emotional baggage and confusion attached. I remember literally sweating through my clothes and just going nuts for a smoke. I did a lot of deep breathing that night.

I also reminded myself of a few things:
1) All feelings pass, whether I smoke or not. No matter how intense and crazy I might feel in a given moment, it will pass, whether I smoke or not.
2) It is OK to have painful or difficult feelings.  I can accept the fact that I am having "negative" feelings without trying to change them. I don't need to do anything to make them go away. I can just feel them and/ or reflect on them while they are there.
3) When these feelings do pass, I'm going to be feeling a lot happier that I didn't smoke.

I posted a few days back about my month of crazy triggers, which were still much more subdued than they were back at that one month mark. (Yes, it does get better and better over time.) And I still thank my lucky stars when I get through some triggering episode and don't smoke. Each time I breathe in and think about how much my lungs have healed in the past year, I am grateful. It feels so nice to not have the little wheezes and the smoker's cough. Not to mention the fact that I've got more oxygen flowing through my bloodstream,  which allows me to think more clearly and better manage my emotions.

I'm also thinking in your case that another big advantage to not smoking is that all those business associates won't smell smoke on you anymore. You will come across as more professional without the invisible cloud following you around.

Hopefully, you can remind yourself of some of these benefits. Also remember that this, too, shall pass. And when it does, you will be happy to be a nonsmoker.
  • Quit Meter

$22,629.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 22

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This weekend we hit one month! It is a great milestone but my day today was really up and down. Started it off with a three-mile run that kicked my ass so hard, it was tough to imagine how it could have been worse, but I know it could have been because I could have gone for that run after already having smoked three or four cigarettes with my morning coffee. Afterward I felt great. Had a nice shower, was glowing from having exercised, generally just felt good about myself.

Then the husband and I went to a social event that involved his work. I'm actually trying to get into his line of work myself so there were a lot of people there with whom I should have been networking, but I was too shy and intimidated and found myself unable to leave his side, which is not my usual mode at these things -- I'm usually circulating and having a good time. And suddenly I got into a funk of worrying about where my life is going and what will happen if I can't get into this other line of work, and the worrying launched me into a mode of just DYING for a cigarette. Everyone there seemed so much smarter and more glamorous and confident and knowledgeable than me and it seemed insane that I could ever think I might work with them; it would have been a great time to excuse myself and have a nice cheering cigarette outside, but that's over now. I forgot about how smoking had that role in my life too -- in situations where I was feeling anxious and uncomfortable, it was a great reason to step out of the situation and get myself together. I even noticed that the venue was one of those places that is so past smoking that getting to a place where you're allowed to smoke is a million-step process, but I was so panicked and at sea that it didn't cheer me up at all.

I've been home for a few hours now and this feeling still won't go away. The worrying and worrying and worrying. I know smoking never SOLVED the worrying, but at least it helped cut it short. It's a good thing my car is already parked on the street because the inconvenience of having to look for a parking spot at this hour is really the only thing deterring me from driving down to the market for a pack right now. And, you know, coming here and complaining helps too.

It's just so weird to be a month in and still discovering new things that set me off. But I guess that's going to go on for a while. BLAH.

Reading this thread: