Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Day 2

16 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nolzrule, I am using the patch, and neither of them is a cop out. They are just aids we need to get our bodies adjusted to the new improved us! :-)  We can do this!  To me whatever method will help, is worth it and none of them are cop outs or cheating. We are doing what means is necessary to get the outcome we are trying to reach....plain and simple.

Danielle, believe me I've been reading the forums, some all the way to 2001!  This place is wonderfully informative! 
Bonnie, thank you for your insights and for sharing your experiences. Your stats look great! I will be up there with you one day..although by that time you will still surpass me! *lol*

I do want to share that I just had one of the worse cravings! The after lunch, been in the office too long craving.  So I got up and went outside and walked briskly around the building. When I noticed I was more than halfway around the building and not puffing or hurting and was actually able to breath, a smile came across my face along with the thought, "I'm going to do it this time!!"  When I returned to my office, one my co-workers and supporters in this endeavor, had went to sonic and brought me back a very large cup of the crunch bite size ice... :-)   *sigh of relief and confidence* 

I know it is early in my quit but I just want to express how glad I am to have found this place and everyone of you..... *hugs* to*everyone*

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 80
Amount Saved: $17.16
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 11 Mins: 4 Seconds: 8

16 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Congrats to you both.   I also used the Chantix...   I did picture myself as a Non smoker and in all kinds of situations.. without smoking.

One of the situations that happened to me:  At a family dinner,, cold, rainy , windy outside.... We finished dinner... I was the Only one to put on a coat to go outside to get a "fix"    As I stood smoking ... I  could see everyone inside, the fire going , people talking and laughing... etc.  (It was MY choice... the Junkie screaming for nicotine)  I Was the one standing in the cold, rain, wind........ there is something wrong with this picture.... all I could picture was the sceen from Scrooge and little Timmy looking in the window.....

Then I am hopping around waving my arms,  and popping a mint to go back in.....like I dont smell....  

Find some situation... and re run it in your mind..... after a few days of not smoking.. walk past someone smoking, or smell an ashtray.     NO matter how much YOU think you don;t smell of smoke.... YOU DO,    close your car up real tight, and let it get warm and open the door.... YUCK    You get out of the shower, do your hair, put on clean clothes,  light up, smoke on the way to work....  you smell like stale smoke... You are ONLY kidding yourself.  you may NOT reek,  but your nice smelling shampoo and bath products.. are now covered in a layer of smoke.

To get you thru the first few days .. you can use a straw.. and fake smoke with air.... do deep breathing.  I used ice chips, frozen juice bars.. sometimes cinnamon or something tangy or with a lot of flavor..

The first 4 days, the nicotine is leaving your system... So that junkie is going to scream  .... like a baby with colic.

The nicotine has turned off dopamine receptors in your brain.. so you are not numbing them and they are not working.. It will be about 6 months before the dopamine receptors are working properly...... so You have to rewrd yourself, and tell yourself how good you are. when you get thru a crave or a day, a week  without icotine.    you need to replace the "feeling"  it takes 21 days to change a habit...  

your rewards don't have to be expensive.... a bite of chocolate.  something for dinner that is one of your favorites.  a magazine,  a warm barh with bubbles,  some new shower gel.....when you have a crave, take the time it would take to have a cigarette, to read an article in a magazine, or play a computer game, a walk.  bird watching ????

The more you say NO  the easier it gets, and the craves are shorter..  I have some craves/urges around "milestones"   most f them are short lived.. and not that hard to deal with... more like batting a pesky mosquito... annoying.

Smoking is an Option   I chose No ....   N O P E  (not one puff ever)  there is NO such thing as one puff or one cigarette... I will be back to one pack a day... one carton a week.... whatever...

Just hang in there,,, IT is NOT easy but it is Doable... Bonnie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 95
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,615
Amount Saved: $323.00
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 15 Mins: 49 Seconds: 55

16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nissala,

The Coping with Stress Milestone in your Glove compartment will teach you a few. You can also search the forums for past threads or the web.

Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My 2nd day also although been taking Chantix for 2 weeks.  Been taking stir straws and cutting in thirds for something to just kick the habit.  The last couple of days of Chantix I would actually just take about 3 puffs without inhaling because I did not want to and putting the lung dart out.  Smoked for 30 years.  It may be a cop out using the drug but is has certainly worked for me.  The best of luck to you.     

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/14/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 1
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 20
Amount Saved: $3.50
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 6 Mins: 0 Seconds: 49

Hello again all,

Today seems a little better than yesterday. I have found a definate crutch for the drives now (ice chips of all things) it helps with the hand to mouth habit and also puts water in my body. Went to the doc and she says my lungs sound fine, but thyroid is enlarged, sinus's are draining and I have an ulcer... my focus was on the lungs, I was afraid something was wrong.

I am finding ways to cope in situations where I smoked the most, ie: on the computer I'll eat ice chips or carrot sticks.. driving ice chips or gum or even a sucker.  I think the worse times for me is when I get in the truck to go anywhere. My first thought when leaving the doctors office was "go to the truck and light up" which is what I normally do.. but I reminded myself that "duh! your not doing that anymore! eat some ice chips and drink your ocean water, its better for you"  So, I have made it through the morning dressing crave, the driving to work crave, driving to the doc crave and driving back to work crave ( I stopped at Sonic and got another ocean water as the ice was melted in the first one.) My son, bless his heart, went to sonic for me last night and got me a whole bag of their ice chips to help me out.  Although he is a smoker, he knows how much this means to me.  

Jim, Josie thank you for checking in on me. I am determined to make it!! The nico-demon will not win this time!

P.S. Where can I get more information regarding relaxation techniques?  I am not really good with meditation, I've tried several times over the years but couldn't get it. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful and smoke free day!

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 60
Amount Saved: $12.87
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 8 Mins: 27 Seconds: 26

16 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So, how are you doing today??? 

It IS going to be rough for you the first few days!!!!  This is HELL WEEK for you!!!  You have to drum up all of the courage and conviction you have in you to fight off the craves!!!  The nico-demon is going to throw everything in his arsenal at you to get you to smoke again!!!  You have to be firm in your committment to get through this!!!

You ARE stronger than the nico-demon and you CAN do this!!!!    Post if you need us!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 71
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,775
Amount Saved: $292.88
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 15 Mins: 33 Seconds: 29

• Quit Meter

$44,602.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1067 Hours: 9

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nissala,

You will find the first week difficult, so be ready for anything!  Take the day off and sleep, or make sure you have some relaxation techniques ready when you get home. Use any coping mechanism you can and push forward.

Don't forget to check with us, we can help

Josie, Health Educator
 I am on day 2 and today seemed worse than yesterday. The cravings have been stronger, the urge to run out and buy a pack have been somewhat constant in the back of my mind.  tonight I have crunched on carrot sticks and crushed ice until I feel like a bloated whale! I have walked the dogs (all 7 of them) and still the cravings pop back in   I am just trying to stay busy now until time for bed.. hoping tomorrow will be an easier day... or if nothing else, not as craved crazed!

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 2
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 40
Amount Saved: $8.58
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 6 Mins: 50 Seconds: 23

Reading this thread: