Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,562 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Here are Tips to Get Through The First Week

16 years ago 0 229 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[color=Blue]Wow Robin ! Truly amazing post ! Thanks for all the great information :) Peace [/color] :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 940 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $423.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
16 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Robin ? Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 621 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,662 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �3,322.35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 125 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Robin, it's great to make lists like this when you are trying to get back on the wagon. Have you been able to quit now or have you set a new quit date? Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1217 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 34,076 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,259.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 173 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$54,901.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 648 Hours: 9

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yeah i am 19 lol [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $93.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
16 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Robin Are you REALLY 19? Stunning words I would adopt you anytime! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 613 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,486 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �3,279.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 123 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 567 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beautifully spoken, Robin--thanks for the post [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/1/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,230 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $276.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Robin! Lots of information here! Thanks! Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's an awesome post Robin with some great info!!! Thanks for posting that for everyone! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 359 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,180 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,795.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
16 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Days One through Seven Hell week with the NicoDemon on your shoulder is really not as bad as all that some people would have you believe. I know I will never have to smoke another cigarette if I just do it one day at a time. I don't smoke today because I choose not to add more poisons into my body. My freedom from this insidious all-pervading addiction is so precious to me and it can be for you, too. To help you make your way through the first week, I suggest you print out this post, but use them only one at a time. If you are on Day One, just read Day one. Hang it on the refrigerator or on your bathroom mirror... wherever it will survive the day. Enjoy your new freedom... you are going to love it! Remember today is the first day of the rest of my life. Waking up to Day 1: * Today's the big day! Round up all your cancer sticks and twist and shred them all over a toilet bowl and flush the Nicodemon. You'll get a certain satisfaction in doing this instead of lighting up. * Eat Breakfast and if you can do so, substitute orange juice, milk or tea for the coffee. It can be a trigger for smoking. Cut coffee consumption by about half, if you cannot. * After meals, go for a walk, play with the kids or pets, work on a hobby or project, call a friend or go celebrate your first day in the states parade for some recognition! * Give away or trash all your ash trays and toss your lighters, too. What to substitute for cigarettes: * sunflower seeds * celery sticks * ice water * carrot sticks * swizzle sticks or plastic coffee stirrers (these are great for in the car!) * butterscotch disks or Werther's * Tic-Tac's or other small mints * chewing gum - sugarless is best * ice cubes or crushed ice to suck on To Help with Cravings * Drink lots of water - about 8 glasses a day for 3 - 4 days to flush toxins and nicotine. This really helps, so DO IT. * Make a written list of all the reasons you want to quit and stay quit. Read it every time you have a craving. It will help tremendously. * Remind yourself that urges to smoke will pass in 3 to 5 minutes and they are not commands to be acted upon. They are only feelings. Other Helps * Make a list of things that acted as a trigger to smoking for you. When did you want to smoke today? What were the circumstances? * Try to keep stress at a minimum today. Hooray! * Reward yourself for a fantastic job of staying smoke-free for the past 24 hours with not even a puff! Get yourself something like a new CD, a nice meal out, see a good movie and pat yourself on the back! Quit Tip for today: GIVING UP - Unless you give up on quitting smoking, the ONLY thing you are "giving up" is a lifetime of slavery, sickness and death due to burning of tobacco and inhaling it into your lungs and/or mouth. Perceived pleasures in doing this do not count... is that kind of "pleasure" worth dying over? HANG TOUGH DON�T PUFF SMOKING DOES NOT HELP!!! Waking up to Day 2: * You now know how not to smoke for ONE day! Great!! Now put on your patch or pop a cube of gum or get started on your Zyban or other quitting aid if you are using them. * Eat breakfast the same way as yesterday. Cut coffee consumption by about half, if you cannot eliminate it altogether. * After meals, exercise or go for a walk or run, play with the kids or pets, mow the lawn or shovel snow, go to this Forum for support or find an offline support group in your town, like Nicotine Anonymous. * Post your name and quit date in the Stats parade if you haven't done it yet. * Go to work via a different route today, or clean the windows of the room most used to smoke in. You'll be surprised at how brown they are. What to substitute for cigarettes: * sunflower seeds * celery sticks * ice water * carrot sticks * peanut butter on a spoon * swizzle sticks or plastic coffee stirrers (these are great for in the car!) * butterscotch disks or Werther's * Tic-Tac's or other small mints * chewing gum - sugarless is best * ice cubes or crushed ice to suck on * Diet soda To Help with Cravings * Drink another 8 glasses of water today to be sure toxins are flushed. * Read your list of all the reasons you want to quit and stay quit every time you have a craving. Can you see how this helps you? * Take some deep cleansing breaths when you feel irritation coming on * Keep reminding yourself that urges to smoke will pass in 3 to 5 minutes and they are not commands. They don't have to be acted upon. They are only feelings. Other Helps * Keep track of what acted as a trigger to smoking for you. When did you want to smoke today? What were the circumstances? Hang in there! * Try to keep stress at a minimum today. * Take a long hot bubble bath or shower, whichever you prefer. * Listen to soothing music while relaxing or meditating. Hooray! * You did it!! Congratulations for going 48 hours without even a puff of the NicoDemon's Sickarettes! * Don't forget to reward yourself for a fantastic job! Quit Tip for Today: NERVOUS HANDS - What do you do when your hands don't seem busy enough? When you're itching to "hold" something. You've brought your hand to your mouth thousands of times while you were smoking, far more than you do when eating. So, now what do you do? Swizzle sticks, like those used in mixed drinks at times did the trick for me. Sunflower seeds were very handy for me, too. Other suggestions might be to nibble on carrot sticks or celery, peanuts, or other low calorie, low carbohydrate food. You can also get your hands very busy with housework, dishwashing, gardening, play solitaire or even electronic games and typing on the computer. Busy hands stay smoke-free. ONE DAY AT A TIME REM: SERENITY PRAYER ONE DAY AT A TIME There are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days, which should be kept free from fear and apprehension. One of these days is YESTERDAY, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. YESTERDAY has passed forever beyond our control. All the money in the world cannot bring back YESTERDAY. We cannot undo a single act we performed; we cannot erase a single word we said, YESTERDAY is gone. The other day we should not worry about is TOMORROW, with its possible adversaries, its blunders, its large promise and poor performance. TOMORROW is beyond our immediate control. TOMORROW'S sun will rise either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds~but will rise. Until it does, we have no stake in TOMORROW, for it is as yet unborn. This leaves only one day ~ TODAY. Any man can fight the battles of just one-day. It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two eternities ~ YESTERDAY and TOMORROW ~ that we break down. It is not the experiences of TODAY that drive men mad ~ it is the remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY and the dread of what TOMORROW will bring. Let us therefore, live but ONE DAY AT A TIME. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $82.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54

Reading this thread: