Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Switch up the Routine

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent information!

Josie, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump

14 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1036
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 25,900
Amount Saved: $10,929.80
Life Gained:
Days: 142 Hrs: 16 Mins: 40 Seconds: 53

16 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My morning routine changed. Instead of sitting out in the cold garage smoking and drinking coffee. I started watching the morning news with my coffee and of course my blankie. I also began logging on to the SCC to get my fix! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 385 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,775 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,617.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 735 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is great advice, Aloha & Windy. I can't tell you how helpful it was for me to switch up my everyday routines during my first few smoke free months. As Lainey said, it's almost too simple. But it makes sense to throw the junkie a curve ball when you can. Sit in a different spot with your morning coffee.Drink hot tea instead of coffee. Take a different route to and from work. Listen to new music in the car. Stop at a different gas station or grocery store.Play a board game instead of watching TV.Clean out a junk drawer. Eat out instead of cooking. If cooking, find some new recipes or new ways of preparing the oldies. Have breakfast for dinner. Have a picnic. Just change it up and try to have fun with it. :) If you have kids, let them get involved in the change up, they love that kind of stuff. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 191 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,730 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $916.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Your thinking that it seems too easy, if you just change your routine the cravings subside, but think about it. Most smokers are creatures of habit, we went for a smoke break at the same time, and probably in the same place. We had a smoke after a task, usually in the same place...change the place, change the event, = change the habit. (Have a mint in the living room, after a task, instead of the kitchen where you used to smoke) It does work. It also works for morning routine. Used to having your coffee in the kitchen??? Have it in the living room or bedroom and watch the cravings diminish! It throws the junkie for a loop, he's dependant on the routine. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 329 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,470.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alohakeia, Thank you for sharing such a great advice. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today as I was "cleaning out the attic", as Anna likes to call it ;), I ran across this post by Windy, [quote] It's really hard to stop thinking about smoking if you are still doing things the same each day. [/quote] She went on to say how cravings disappeared or didn't even occur when she did different things than she usually did. I think that is crucial, especially early in our quits, to change our routines and substitute a different activity for smoking. For example, if we sit there at the table after a meal and dwell on how we want a cigarette, of course it will become more and more uncomfortable. But, if you play a game of cards, or, as our wonderful Lainey does (not for me, mind you), get up and do the dishes right away, or go for a walk, or smooch with your sweetie, you will soon forget about that after meal smoke. It really does work. Anyone else want to add how it's worked for them? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 311 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,114.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46

Reading this thread: