Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Food Cravings

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi island,

Sounds like you are on top of everything. Very impressive to read how proactive you are about your health. I'm also glad you treated yourself, you certainly deserve it! And I find when we take the guilt or the "can't have it" mind set away from food it takes away some of its crave power.

Sounds like you have a plan and are very incontrol. How does it feel?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the response.  The message about trying to be superwoman rings true.  I realized it myself while I was journaling, which is one way I stay on track and also a reward because it's down time to myself.  

I did indulge my cravings yesterday with some pretzels, but after a little bit, I realized that I'd rather have a crunchy salad instead.

As to the question of not being superwoman, I decided that while I still have a little time before school starts that I'm not going to push as hard first of all.  Then I'm going to explore the City a little bit, maybe a walk on the beach and in the park.  Maybe a visit to a museum.

I added some fiber to my morning protein shake and it's started to help make my system feel better.  I've bought some African mango, which is a superfruit supplement used to remove toxins and improve metabolism.  I bought a scale and I have put on some weight, but I've lost a few pounds already, just with diet and exercise.  The African mango I hope will also help.

I realize I'm making a lot of changes all at once so my body isn't going to like it though my mood is good.  Also I've just turned 50 so I'm not taking that in really.  I feel younger so I feel like I can do more and more drastically than probably is reasonable.  To give myself a little credit, I had to move when I did and have a timeline before school starts so I feel like it's better to try to make these changes and feel uncomfortable when I can afford it, before I have a busy schedule and can't really take naps or relax with a TV show or my journal. 
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Island,

Food cravings are common while quitting. Try to stick with healthy snacks and drink plenty of water. Exercise is also a great option to make yourself feel better and to manage cravings.

Weight gain is common while quitting but once you are quit for awhile it will be easier to lose weight as you will have more energy and you will be breathing better. If you stick with exercising and watch what you eat the weight gain will be minimal if at all.

It sounds like your system is going through a lot with the move, change in sleep patterns, medication change and quitting. It makes sense that your stomach will be a bit off. Also, when quitting some people have problems with constipation and gas. Exercising, drinking plenty of water and eating healthy, high fiber foods will help with this - know it is temporary.

Remember to be easy on yourself. You are accomplishing a lot and being very strong. You don't have to be superwoman and do everything perfectly if you are not up for it. Make your quit your top priority and sooth yourself when you need to.

What can you do for yourself today to celebrate how much you have already accomplished?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm having strong cravings for salty, crunchy foods.  I don't usually buy snack foods so I don't have anything in the house but some light popcorn, which doesn't seem to satisfy the craving anyway.  I have some healthy crackers which I eat with a ripe tomato.  Occasionally I'll add a bit of sharp cheddar cheese since I don't eat enough protein in general and then it's like a very tiny meal.

I don't have a scale so I don't know if I've gained weight or not, but I do feel bloated and uncomfortable in my gut.  I thought that was due to the fact that I'm also stopping an anti-depressant at the same time and it's been less than a week.

I also just moved and got settled in a new city and apartment.  Started getting up lots earlier to prepare for school which starts in a few weeks.  Lots of changes all at once. 

Though it may seem like too much, my mood and determination remain high, but I'm not taking any risks.  I'm staying on the 7 mg patch for a while and I've also quit drinking even just one little beer because I don't want to lower my ability to resist any temptation since the stress is pretty high right now.

I did find a good walk in my new area so I'm exercising again after a few weeks off for moving and settling.  That will probably eventually keep the weight off and make me feel better in general.  Right now though I feel a little edgier than I'd like to and I think it is the stress that is producing the cravings for salty stuff.  I read somewhere that cravings for salt are connected to adrenaline.

Reading this thread: