Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,480 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Controversy

13 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Then would it be pleasure or addiction for you steelroots rather than:
"After all isn't that why we all smoked was to deal with other issues (thinking we were relieving stress, relaxing, dealing with life)"?  Why did you smoke?

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/22/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1666
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 41,650
Amount Saved: $18,221.88
Life Gained:
Days: 326 Hrs: 2 Mins: 45 Seconds: 49

13 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're so right!  That's why I started smoking.  Well, to tell the truth, since I was so young, I just thought it was cool and everyone else was doing it.  After a while, I continued to smoke to deal with life situations, stress, angry, etc.  Now that I'm trying to quit, I'm forced to look for other answers to dealing with these problems.   Good for you in your quit.  Since everyone's psychological makeup is not the same, I think we all need to use what works for us individually.  Knowing myself, I would take the easiest way to get it done, but because of my circumstances, that isn't possible.  So I'm chewing the gum.  The problem I have with the gum is that it makes my teeth hurt. lol    
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 7/8/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 38
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 380
Amount Saved: $69.73
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 1 Mins: 16 Seconds: 10

13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I believe that each quit is unique as well, and what works best for one person may not work for another, and that being said I have watched it happen with my own eyes in the last 10 days, I quit cold turkey using natural herbs for assistance 10 days ago, my hubby quit 10 days ago also only he just quit cold turkey, my brother quit 6 days ago using low level laser, my sister in law quit 5 days ago using the thrive losenges, and my mother is working on quitting through an herbal quit system (my entire family is quitting other then dad who quit 20 years ago) and i am watching each of us struggle with different aspects.... it really doesnt matter what you do to quit each person struggles with something or another and you will find your own way of dealing with each struggle! the biggest hurdle is to get past your cravings! and know that a slip is not a failure it is a learning experience!

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 7/26/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 150
Amount Saved: $20.25
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 16 Mins: 35 Seconds: 40

13 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi! Steelroots
I think each quit is different.
 I think that the most important thing is to prepare ourselves for the quit and to educate ourselves for it. We shall quit when our will to stay quit is bigger than our desire or need for cigarrettes.
I didn't struggle with weight because I learned how to manage it. I was overweight as a teenager and I learned how to manage my weight.
Actually I blame most of my failed previous attempts to quit to my fear of gaining weight. I used cigarrettes as a way to supress my apetite and mi impulse to overeat. So I traded a bad habit for a worse one. But I prepared myself and now I am really happy and taking one day at a time. I quit on Chantix and and I attended the Allen Carr Seminar. I also spent a lot of time in this wonderful support group.
So we shall do whatever we need to do to stay quit, and every quit is differernt.
Just my humble opinion
Marivi

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 548
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,220
Amount Saved: $822.00
Life Gained:
Days: 64 Hrs: 8 Mins: 59 Seconds: 52

13 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Having gone the patch route, I think if I had to do it over again I'd try cold turkey.  Reason being, the step down from every level of patch (I did three steps) was the equivalent of the final three day withdrawal.  It was like quitting three times.  I was a mess.  But I learned a lot and I'm here to testify to it!

Here's to you doing what works for you, steelroots.  You'll find more and more as you keep this quit and exceed that 85 day mark that the 'I'm doing what works for me' attitude becomes more relevant, and is the very tonic that keeps you going.  That perhaps lack of that attitude is what allowed old nic to dig his claws into you and tug.  Keep on drinking that 'me tonic' and you'll drown him.

x T

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/1/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1301
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 29,923
Amount Saved: �8,228.83
Life Gained:
Days: 116 Hrs: 2 Mins: 22 Seconds: 41

13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Thank you for your thoughtful post Steelroots.

It sounds like you are really putting a lot of yourself into this quit. That is important and it will help drive you to remain smoke free.  Be sure that you know Milestone 4 of the program well.  Learning alternative coping mechanisms instead of smoking is essential.

Keep inspiring and staying strong!

Members, what works for you?
13 years ago 0 109 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't want to take away from anything that works for others - eating for smoking, hooked on nicotine patches, nicotine gum, lozenges etc.

It's just ME and I have to do what works for me - as I've said about 12 quits, I always used something and never stayed quit for any length of time because of the other issues.  I'm not going that route this time.
Call it Crazy, insane or whatever but I'm not going in a direction that I know is setting me up to dealing with other things the rest of my life to say that I stayed quit.  

I have a one track mind when it comes to smoking - I want to quit cigarettes but not use patches, gum etc. with nicotine and a year down the road I'm still using and have nicotine in my system.  Also, I've never had a weight problem (thank the Lord) and I'm not going to have one now.  To me I would be trading smoking for eating and too many of my family and friends have major weight issues - which is just as unhealthy as smoking and it irritates me that a lot of people can have very expensive surgeries because of weight issues and my insurance won't even pay for smoking cessation but when we smoke we have to pay higher premiums (what's wrong with that picture).

Bottom line is I want to Quit Smoking and it has become too expensive - personally, I'm not going to quit smoking and spend the money on patches, gum or chantix.  Also, I want to get through the w/d and cravings and urges and down the road I don't want to be going through trying to lose weight and get "off" nicotine patches and gum etc.

After all isn't that why we all smoked was to deal with other issues (thinking we were relieving stress, relaxing, dealing with life)

We all do what we have to do - and that's what I'm doing!

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 7/21/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 60
Amount Saved: $15.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 15 Mins: 2 Seconds: 6

Reading this thread: