Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

New Lifestyle

13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jeniwho, you've got it going on. I joined a bike club yesterday. I have to wait for them to call me to find out if it's a bicycle club or a motorcycle club. A running club sounds similar. Having like-minded people to work out with will make it easier to stick to a regimen. Plus, we'll meet new people and make new friends. I'm meeting people at the Y, and I think I'm going to get some friendships out of it.
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 365
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,220
Amount Saved: $4,343.50
Life Gained:
Days: 41 Hrs: 2 Mins: 56 Seconds: 7

13 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Brenda, that is amazing all the work you are doing!  I am trying to do the same thing I just want an overall healthier lifestyle, not just smoke free.  I have networked with a few people who are training for runs and I am trying to work up to running five miles.  I think it also helps when I have urges because I know even one smoke will set my running back weeks, even months.  Keep me posted on how the training goes and keep up the good work!
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 159
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,180
Amount Saved: $1,113.00
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 21 Mins: 40 Seconds: 23

• Quit Meter

$385,942.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5352 Hours: 20

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi sfree. Good to hear from you. I see you have almost six months. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I am now working out at the gym (YMCA) three days a week and riding my bike for a few hours on Saturdays. I take six hours of classes each week at the Y: 2 hrs of power cycling, 2 hrs of aerobics, 1 hr of yogilates, and 1 hr of tighten and tone. I'm also on a 1400 calorie per day diet, and I'm switching to a Mediterranean diet. My goals are to stay quit and to train, May 2011, to bike a 1/2 marathon to raise money to fight AIDS. Had I not quit smoking I wouldn't be even thinking about living a healthy lifestyle. First off, it's difficult to exercise while smoking. Second, why bother when you're doing something that has such a negative impact on the body.

I have set little goals all along the way-3 months, 6 moths... Early on weeks and days were big.  Now one year. Few people make it to one year and I decided early that making it to a year would be a test I would pass. Some people call the one yea club "The 7% Club".that is the percentage of quitters who quit without help who make it to one year. The percentage nearly doubles with support, but it's still not good. So making it to one year is really something to aim for, little by little.  I think I won't stop looking over my shoulders, though, until I hit two years, so getting there will be important, too. I know tat with each day, week, month, and year that passes this will continue to get easier. However, I also know that cravings can show up at any time, on any day and that will be the case for a long, long time..

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 355
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,940
Amount Saved: $4,224.50
Life Gained:
Days: 39 Hrs: 23 Mins: 24 Seconds: 46

14 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Brenda!  I havent been on in awhile-busy with everything lately:)  But I knew your 1 yr was coming up here soon.  What an inspiration for the rest of us!  I hear you on working on other aspects of our lives.  I too am trying to focus on staying fit and eating healthier.  I was lucky to not have gained any weight when I quit but I always worry it may sneak up on me so I try to keep my guard up by working out often.  What goals are you setting next?  And most importantly, what is your best piece of advice to all the other quitters working towards the 1 yr anniversary?  Can't wait to celebrate your 1 yr anniversary!  Keep up the great work. 

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 10/24/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 179
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,790
Amount Saved: $671.25
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 23 Mins: 37 Seconds: 45

• Quit Meter

$544,860.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4807 Hours: 14