Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

I feel So Fat

14 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is almost like we put on the weight when we quit smoking to help protect our bodies as we go through withdrawal. And when we get to a point that we know we have made it, we can let the weight go!
Hang in there Cali, it is temporary!  Remember that smoking is far more dangerous to your health than a few pounds from quitting, and just stepping up your walking will really help. (Walking helps relieve cravings too!) Stay positive about it, because you know, all the smokers are envious that you quit!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 799
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 19,975
Amount Saved: $8,429.45
Life Gained:
Days: 105 Hrs: 19 Mins: 8 Seconds: 8

14 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
well , i don't just feel fat , I AM FAT !

i too gained a bunch of weight since i quit smoking , but it was worth it and now i'm working on getting fit with my sweetie.

mike/astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 426
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,780
Amount Saved: $3,834.00
Life Gained:
Days: 72 Hrs: 5 Mins: 45 Seconds: 15

14 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cali, isn't that just so annoying? we kick one nasty habit and as a result gain weight-hmm that really is the down side to the quit, it was for me anyway.
I gained 42 pounds and have now lost 23 pounds and so still have some way to go.
I had to be absolutely sure the quit was safe first before I could channel my energies into weight loss.
I joined the gym and go three to four times a week and that includes swimming too- and I joined weight watchers.
I know the mods mean well when they say choose healthy snacks but neither my husband or myself wanted healthy we wanted high fat or high sugar, and the consequence for me was the weight gain.
The other problem I found is that people accept the weight gain if they know you've quit smoking, its like somehow the weight gain is both acceptable and justifiable if you're not smoking? Bizarre huh??
Anyway, I wish you luck, it will all go back to normal eventually.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 367
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,175
Amount Saved: $5,505.00
Life Gained:
Days: 43 Hrs: 7 Mins: 45 Seconds: 39

14 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much for all your support.  I'm going to stay smoke free no matter what.  I will start walking at work...thanks again.  You all are so great.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 127
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,905
Amount Saved: $350.52
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 9 Mins: 34 Seconds: 16

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Calgirl!
Karren joined weightwatchers and she is doing great! Increase your amount of physical activity. You will feel great, and excercise beliueve it or not is a hunger suppresant; it relieves the anxiety associated with overeating. It also gets you into the "I have to take care of myself " mood.
Remember it is easier to loose some pounds than to grow a new lung!
Nice to see you smoke free!!!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 108
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,620
Amount Saved: $162.00
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 8 Mins: 41 Seconds: 59

14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Caligirl,

Although weight gain while quitting smoking is a concern, it is quite common especially for the first few months as a non-smoker.

Two things seem to cause this weight gain. First, your body metabolism slows down when you quit, so you don't need as much food as when you were smoking. Second, you may use food to replace cigarettes and end up eating a bit more than before.

Tips to avoid gaining weight while maintaining a quit:

Eat healthy, tasty, well-balanced meals as much as possible. Avoid fad diets.

Since food may taste better after you quit, you may want bigger helpings. Try to eat the same amount as usual.

Nicotine withdrawal can cause constipation. Drink lots of fluids.

Eat low-fat snacks like crackers, fruits, veggies or toast, instead of donuts, candy, or potato chips.

Moderate your use of alcohol. Keeping your hands busy with smoking may have slowed up your drinking before. Without a cigarette, your rate and number of drinks may increase along with your weight.

Get up and get moving! Physical activity can help to counteract any weight gain.

Start with a small achievable goal. Example: Walking 10 minutes everyday. Once you’ve gotten into the routine, change the activity goal. Example: Walking 20 minutes everyday, attending a fitness class once a week, join a sports team, take up a hobby that gets you moving like rock climbing or dancing.

What is key to remember is that increasing your level of physical activity requires changing your routine, therefore selecting a goal that is in tone with your current lifestyle in the beginning makes it a more manageable change and thus more sustainable over the long-term.

Members, please feel free to post your thoughts and experiences on weight gain here with us, we all learn from each other.

Faryal, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can't win for loosing.  I am all ready a thick girl.  I make a great choice and stop smoking....NOW I FEEL SO MUCH FATTER.......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 126
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,890
Amount Saved: $347.76
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 7 Mins: 56 Seconds: 7

Reading this thread: