Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Panic Attacks

5 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Ralph.

Congrats on more then three weeks of no smoking! An increase in anxiety is very common during a quit. I know that doesn't make the panic attacks any easier though. Have you had panic attacks before? How do you try to calm yourself when you are having a panic attack?

My suggestion: Remind yourself that panic attacks usually do not last longer then 20 minutes. The panic will pass. Remind yourself that the panic attack is a feeling and it cannot hurt you. Breath deeply. Ground yourself with your senses:
Look for 5 different colours
Listen for 4 distinct sounds 
Touch 3 different sensations (example, clap your hands, touch something soft)
Smell 2 different smells 
Taste 1 thing (I suggest water or decafinated tea)

I hope this helps! Also, you may want to check out our sister site https://evolutionhealth.care/index. This website contains a free, self guided, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy(CBT) program for depression and anxiety. It also has two corresponding support groups. I highly recommend. CBT is the most evidence based treatment for anxiety. If you are better able to control your anxiety day-to-day then you will be less likely to have a panic attacks. The program and support group can help you achieve this. 

How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ralph,
  "stopped smoking for more than 3 weeks now." Congratulations on starting your quit journey, and welcome to the site. "Im having panic attacks. and it scares me alot." Don't let it scare you too much. Anxiety is normal when you are starting your quit journey. There are a lot of unknowns that lay ahead in your future, and that can be scary. When you get a panic attack, try the breathing exercise to help calm you down. Take a slow deep breath in through your nose, hold a few seconds and slowly exhale through your mouth. Do this 4-5 times and you will be surprised at how much it calms you down. Another thing that can help you is to read through these forums, and go the "my program" at the top of the page. The more you know about what to expect, and how to deal with it, the easier it will be for you to face the unknowns that you encounter on your path to freedom from the addiction. 
 How long were you a smoker? Have you tried to quit before? 
Stay strong Ralph, it will get easier in the near future.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,135.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 769 Hours: 21

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Im having panic attacks. and it scares me alot. stopped smoking for more than 3 weeks now.
  • Quit Meter

$77,180.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6668 Hours: 23

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 15

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: