Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

my 2nd try quitting and hard coughing

8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi again Ashley
Yes I have low mood almost all the day. Smoking was poisoning my body and hiding my problems from my awareness!
In these 4 weeks I felt sad and guilty!, and losing interest in sex, also that life is not worth living it, I hate myself, feeling I'm alone inside. Otherwise some days I just feel can't think about a thing.

Now I get angry and irritable even about slightest things.
I will take your advices very well, gonna try be social in this period of time, walking and other activities that I can do, to cheer myself without a cigarette.
Thanks a lot for your support 
8 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mzmz,

Congrats on over 4 weeks now!! No need to apologize for a late reply. I am just glad you are still checking in here.

I am also glad you are having medium to low cravings. That is great! But I am not happy to hear you feel your mind is empty. It is hard for me to say exactly what is going on for you as in order to get a complete understanding it would be important for you to see a doctor for a diagnosis or referral. However, do you feel you may have low mood? It is normal for mood to take a nose dive while we quit smoking and this may lead to lack of motivation to even think. To improve your mood it can be helpful to plan rewards and pleasant activities; exercise, eat well, and be social. But again if you are concerned about your mood it is always best to talk to a doctor.

Are you feeling any better now? How is your quit going?
Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks Ashley for your reply and support. I'm sorry about being late to reply, I was away from the internet for a while. My health now is well, I have a little insomnia, my coughing gone after I use medicine made with convolvulus from the doctor.
Now I'm in week 3 day 4 without smoking, and my desire to smoke between medium and low. 

I notice something in my thinking and I'm afeard of it. Which is: I don't care like the past! I can do anything without remorse! like my conscience is kept away from me!
And I feel my mind is empty, like I don't have desire to think.
I don't know what happen to my mind! Could you illuminate me with your knowledge.
8 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Mzmz,

First of all, congrats on quitting. Coughing can be a symptom of withdrawal but if you have any concerns about your breathing or coughing it is always best to get the advice of a doctor.

How are you feeling today?
Ashley, Health Educator
Hi everyone
thanks for this lovely site. 

This is my 2nd try of quitting smoking.
First one when I was young, I stopped smoking after I get sick with flu. Then the withdrawal symptoms of smoking kicked my body, and I don't know about them yet. So from doctor to doctor I spent too much money on medicines and every doctor sell me another garbage medicines. In the end I get pneumonia and bacterias in my lang and stayed home for 2 month dying in the bed! Therefor I said to myself, let me smoke again if I'm dying. I smoke and smoke a lot, bacterias go away from my lang and I gained my health again.
So from that moment I had a believe quitting smoking not for me! all because that capitalism hospitals.

Now after 14 years, I decided to quit smoking even if I die trying. 
This is my 6th day without smoking, first 3 days was hell to me, I get sick and my body power goes very down.
Now I have hard coughing it seems like my windpipe on fire and my lungs filled with dust (green sputum). Even my voice has changed.
And if I want to take full breath I coughed mostly the time. And all this reminds me of my first try and pneumonia sickness.
I want to ask: Is this normal, the hard coughing?  

Reading this thread: