Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Is it the quitting or something else

8 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cath
I am right about the same quit time as you, and feel very much the same way. I was dizzy for about 6 weeks and now feel drained and fuzzy.  I don't really crave to have a smoke, but I do crave feeling the energy like I used to feel. Best of luck to you.

8 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cath,

What you are describing sounds to be normal. Smokers tend to be shallow breathers. When you quit, you may find yourself taking random deeper breaths. It's just your lungs adjusting to their new lung capacity. Also, the spaced out feeling is linked to carbon monoxide withdrawal. It gives a sense of being in "another dimension." It can include changes in distance and space perception, a floating feeling, and a total lack of concentration. Remember that carbon monoxide is a deadly poison - it is a good thing to get out of your system.

Tips to help: Plan your workload to account for your temporary lack of concentration. Avoid additional stress during the first few weeks.

If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. Its possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of some illness, and when you stop smoking the symptoms abruptly become noticeable.

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All

I quit 10.5 weeks ago. By now I kinda thought I would be feeling physically much better. BUT I am feeling pretty odd. My body feels fuzzy like, I am tired and edgy. I feel similar to my first 3 weeks. My lungs I must say feel very open, feels like a tone of space in there and I find this is making me sigh and breath deeply in a lot, its constant! Its almost like side effects from medication or something, but trust me, I am not taking meds:) I just can't quite tell you the feeling. Its almost trippy, but not nice. SO, I just wanted to know is this normal so far down the line? I am pushing through, I have to as I am trying to get pregnant, and also want to see my kids become gown-ups. But it would be nice to know that one day I will feel human again and how long I should expect to feel "off". If its not norm I think I should see a doctor... Also, I have been a pack a day smoker for about 18 years, so can't really expect to feel normal in just a few weeks I guess?

I have since the 3rd week had issues with my gums and I must say, that's finally better:) 

Thanking all in advance:)

Cath 

Reading this thread: