Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Worried About Sleeplessness

9 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anyway, don't panic by the amount of sleep you get for the first few days. It is not your normal amount of sleep as an ex-smoker, it is your normal amount of sleep while in drug withdrawal. These are not "normal" times, nor will they last long. Anyone experiencing such problems the first week or two after quitting probably is likely just having adjustment issues.Sleep will eventually settle in to a normal pattern for you as an ex-smoker. Then aging will exert its normal adjustments. Whether it turns out to be more sleep or less, you should at least sleep sounder knowing you are no longer under the control of nicotine and no longer posing such deadly risks to yourself by still smoking. To sleep happier because you know you are staying healthier and likely to live longer, always remember all the times you are awake to Never Take Another Puff!
9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey DonnaK!!!

Looks like you should have one month under your belt now!!!  Way to go!!!  You ARE doing this in spite of the obstacles you are facing and that is fantastic!  I hope that you have rewarded your self well for your accomplishment and if you haven't, I want you to do so today!!!  One month is a huge milestone that must not go unrewarded!!!  

Yes, you are through what we call Zombie Month and you are going through many changes, both mentally and physically!  You have eliminated a lot of different chemicals from your daily routine that you were used to and it takes a while for your brain and body to get used to it's new found freedom!  I know it is not easy, but you have buckled down and endured it for over 30 days!!!  You are now starting to get back to "normal" and it takes some getting used to.  Just keep on doing what you have been doing for the last month, which is not smoking!  Take it one day at a time, reward yourself at the end of the day and try to relax and do it all over the next day!  Those smoke-free days will start adding up faster and faster now! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 8

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for all the helpful hints. I'm going through this now. Never did I expect all these different withdrawal symptoms. The couch was horrible but that has eased up and now losing sleep. What else do I have to look forward to? LOL Really trying to keep a sense of humor about all this but it's not easy.
9 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Blackhawks,

It all right there for you!

Lots of great tips, so take what you like and try it!

Josie, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tim and Jim,

Thank you both for helping me out, it is much appreciated!! I am glad the sleeplessness will be temporary and the list that you guys gave me will help a great deal.  It is amazing how much stuff I never thought of to do to help me fall asleep. I am going to try some of these steps this weekend. Again, thank you!!

J

10 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Blackhawks16,
 Ashley had some good pointers in the thread Jim bumped up for you. I myself love a hot bubble bath to relax in before bedtime.
Here is more information I've pulled off the web:

Many ex-smokers complain of having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep after quitting smoking. While sleep woes are a common and frustrating complaint among recent quitters, they are also temporary. Nicotine’s effect on sleep is largely due to its stimulant properties which keep the body and mind in alert mode instead of wind down mode. In addition, since the body goes without nicotine for a long period during sleep, smokers may awaken earlier in response to withdrawal.  

Meditate. The value of this exercise is in letting the stress of your day go. Start out by laying quietly, eyes closed, for 5 minutes. When thoughts come, acknowledge them and let them go. Let your mind drift. Build the time up that you do this activity gradually. It’s a terrific way to relax and slow down enough to sleep. 

- Wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends

- Don’t go to bed unless you feel tired and sleepy

- If you don’t fall asleep within 20 minutes, get up and do a relaxing activity in another room

- Listen to soft music, flip through a magazine, or read a book to induce sleepiness

- Take a warm bath

- Avoid naps, especially after 3:00 p.m.

- Exercise regularly, but early in the day and not six or fewer hours before bedtime

- Keep your bedroom cool, dark, and quiet

- Avoid watching TV, eating, writing, talking on the phone, or reading in bed (keep TVs and all electronics out of bedrooms)

- Don’t go to bed hungry but avoid large meals (and drinking lots of water) before bedtime

- Establish a bedtime routine

- Drink a warm glass of milk or herbal tea, like chamomile

- Avoid caffeine after 3:00 p.m.

- Avoid alcohol within six hours of bedtime

- Have a massage

- Practice deep-breathing exercises or meditation

- Try this exercise: Imagine there are faucets at each finger and toe’s end. Imagine them all running and envision all stress and tension rushing out through them.

When I quit I tossed and turned for just the first few days. I think it was more from worrying about whether or not I could do this quit rather than from the lack of nicotine. Hope something works for you.  
  • Quit Meter

$23,207.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 5

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey "L"!!!

The first thing I thought of was a nice relaxing bath before you head to bed.  That always helped me to relax and unwind.  Maybe a nice walk before that to help tire you out?  A night cap?  Hot chocolate? Soothing music?  I know my wife can fall asleep in about 2 minutes when I rub her feet.  We each lay at opposite ends of the couch and rub each others feet at times and I always get the short end of that deal!!!  Do you have a foot rubber at home? 

Also, you might try some deep breathing exercises.  My sleeping pill is usually the Science Channel, National Geographic or some other nature-type shows!  Zonk... I'm out!    I hope one of my suggestions help.  Maybe someone else will chime in or try doing a search.  I'll see if I can find a thread or two and bump them forward for you.

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 8

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Everyone,

People are saying that one of the withdrawals that people have from quitting smoking is not being able to sleep very well.  I already have trouble sleeping and now that I am quitting smoking I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice on how to get through this side effect.  I would like to prepare myself before it even happens.  Today is my first day of quitting. Thank you in advance!!

J

Reading this thread: