Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Awareness Acceptance Appreciation

9 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pen:

Thank you for that...It is always good to come and see the folks who where around during the worst of my battles with this bloody addiction... There truly are a great many good souls here...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,496.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1302 Hours: 7

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you nonic - brilliant as usual! 

Best,
Penitent

• Quit Meter

$56,727.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 16

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Vincenza:

Thank you for that...It is always a pleasure to come and visit with folks here.  This site has meant a great deal to me, I managed to find my own way out of the woods here and I know that others are doing the same...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,496.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi nonic, 

Thank you once again for taking the time to share a very powerful message...you have a gift of writing and connecting to others on so many levels - no matter what journey we are each on in this life.  We are grateful for your encouragement!
Hey Working:

Yep gratitude is a major player in all things.  In fact Cicero once said that "Gratitude is the Father of all Virtue".  I think that is true.  Taking anything for granted in this life is a sad thing.  I think that gratitude is the key to living life in the moment. 

I am glad to see that you have come so far in your travels here and at the same time have offered solace and hope to so many others...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,496.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you, nonic. I always appreciate your way with words. This time, your words reminded me of how horribly and painfully trapped I was for so long. And that reminder made me grateful, once again, for the freedom I feel now. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,515.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 22

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Awareness, Acceptance, Appreciation

I have been absent from these pages for a bit of time now, and have not contributed to the wealth of knowledge and hope that is contained within this site.  However, I have been reading regularly and maintain a great empathy for all who struggle with this addiction. 

When I first came here I was seeking a kind of reassurance that cessation was a possibility for me.  At that time I had a lingering doubt that laying aside smoking was not an option for me.  I did not realize then that the retention of that doubt was a symptom of the very addiction I wished to end.  Doubt and its brother fear are both tools of addiction.  It is up to us to realize that fact and begin to extinguish the residual embers that give life to those harmful mindsets. 

Of course that is easy to say.  The difficulty of any task is in the doing. How one goes about throwing water on the inferno of doubt and fear is a matter for the individual.  However, I believe that there are a few general principles that can be used to aid us in that quest.

The three things that have helped me the most are awareness, acceptance and appreciation.  In order to recognize the nature of the task there is a need for awareness.  As smokers we have always been aware that smoking is a negative aspect in our lives.  The difficulty has been that that awareness, for the most part, lasts for mere nanoseconds.  The revelation is quickly overcome by the desire for one more smoke.  That is part of the circular nature of the addiction.  As we all know nicotine has a half-life in the body and just as we reach a state of awareness with regard to the negative impact the practice is having, the old cycle is renewed as the nicotine is drained from our bodies.  The light of awareness is quickly extinguished by the desire to begin the cycle yet one more time.  

Once we recognize the physical nature of the addiction, we must practice in order to allow our awareness to become greater than the addiction cycle.  In short we must recognize the problem, understand the cycle and rise above its workings.  How one does that is difficult to describe.  Some people do this through deferral, some find that deep breathing helps, others are able to identify the stimuli that trigger the desire and find ways to either avoid or alter their lives to negate those triggers.  The point is that it is possible and YOU  can do it. 

The second general point that I find helpful to keep in mind is acceptance.  Accept that we have fallen into a trap of sorts.  We have allowed smoking to become such a part of our lives that without it, social functions become unbearable; completing tasks always incorporates it, and even our sexual lives become less than perfect without its presence.  In short, as the old R&B classic goes, smoking "has really got a hold on us"..."I don't want you, but I need you...and so forth.  However, accept also that you do not need smoking.  In fact it needs you or at least the tobacco industry needs you to survive. You need to eradicate its presence in your life to that YOU can survive. 

The third point that I find useful is appreciation.  In the first instance appreciate that you have this chance to quit.  That is fundamental.  Not all people are given or choose to take advantage of the opportunity to leave smoking in the dust.  Even now I do not know if I quit soon enough as I smoked for 37 of my trips around the sun.  Perhaps I have escaped the ravages of my self-imposed suicidal behavior.  Perhaps I have come to it to late, I do not know.  But I am happy and appreciate the fact that I have been given the opportunity to quit.  It is a blessing and should be celebrated.

Appreciate as well all that is in your life, although much of it may seem a trial, it all has its purpose.  We all suffer in this life to one degree or another.  We all have trials.  We all have triumphs.  There are times when we are loved and times when we are despised.  There are times when we love deeply and others when we face disappointment and alienation.  The one over riding principle to bear in mind is that smoking will neither enhance nor diminish any of those experiences.  I think (and this is only me) that the key is to appreciate the whole magilla and wonder at the cosmic coincidence or plan that is the reality of human existence.  I do.  In fact I think it is a miracle that we are here at all.        

nonic 

• Quit Meter

$66,496.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked