Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Stomach Issues

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Tyler!!!

Welcome and congrats for the great quit you have under your belt so far!  I remember quit after quit where my craves got really bad and my stomach would tighten up and be painful even after the crave had subsided.  I didn't have to do the px-90 for flat abs back then!    Unfortunately the craves got the best of me on my former quit attempts.  This quit was different and I used Chantix and I will attribute that to minimizing those gut-wrenching craves I had on previous quits!  Another key was really wanting my quit more than I wanted to smoke!

Many of us have experienced internal cramps, gas, constipation and several other side effects from quitting!  Much of this is a result of our body going through the healing process!  As Litsa mentioned, if your symptoms persist and it seems to get worse, by all means visit your physician.  Always better off safe than sorry!

You might do a search on "stomach" or "bloating" and read related posts from your new quit buddies here!  Lots of great information here on the forums!

By the way... be sure to reward yourself for your 1 month milestone!!!  Major achievement!!  Reward yourself well and often... you deserve it!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,280.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 20

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all so so much! Much love! Tyler
11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear TDawg,

Your gas will reduce as time goes on.......I had the same!  One thing I realised I was doing was to gulp air in during a crave, rather than to breathe in and out slowly.  It's stress that does it.

It's easy to say  'breathe in and out slowly'  a very different thing to do it!  Try to stay calm and concentrate on something else.

It will dissipate and get better with time.

Love Lolly.  
11 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TDawg,
I had the worst constipation for about 2 months after I stopped smoking, so perhaps your symptoms are as a result of quitting. Nevertheless, you know your body better than anyone. If you are feeling bad, perhaps consider going to the doctor for a check-up.
Be strong!
I was having the worst stomach aches this weekend. It felt like I had to go to the bathroom but 99% of the time it was just gas. My stomach is sticking out but I haven't been eating unhealthy. I do p90x every morning. Will this feeling desipate? Do I HAVE to get pills from a doctor?
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It will go away once your body has a chance to adjust.

Ashley, Health Educator
will it go away over time or is this something I have to deal with forever?
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TDawd,

Welcome to the group. Gas can be a withdrawal symptom.

Smoking increases gastro intestinal motility(how your intestines move)when you quit, you intestines slow down. Your food spends more time travelling through your gut and naturally produces more gas.

Try cutting out foods that naturally aid in gas production, carbonated drinks and chewing gum. More air swallowed, more gas you'll have. Lastly, regular physical activity has also been helpful as it encourages your gut to start moving.

Hope this helps and please feel free to share what tricks have worked for you! 

Ashley, Health Educator
I have stopped smoking about a month ago. Since then my stomach has felt bloated and gassy. It gurgles and is constantly aching. I work out every day and my stomach feels hard but not from muscle. I was wondering if this will last forever? How can I get rid of this?

Reading this thread: