Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,511 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Withdrawl and Muscles stiffness

11 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great Job Puddinpop ! You did the tough part ! Remember   N.otO.neP.uff.E.ever. and you can not fail !
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, puddinpop! So proud of you for getting through Hell Week. The nicotine is out of your system now. I remember how nutty and off-balance I felt during that week...and what a sense of relief it was to have the physical craves stopped. It will get easier from here. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 8

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well that is something to Cheer about!  Good for you Pudinnpop!  Look at you go : )  
11 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hiya ive  been quit officially for 7 days now!
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Melony!!!

I experienced a similar symptom on one of my previous quits.  I was continuously tense from craving!  My shoulder, neck and stomach muscles were constantly tightening up while I craved and actually were sore for a couple days afterwards!  It was the same as if you hadn't worked out for quite some time and then did some vigorous exercises!  That experience was many years ago during my first quit attempt and I'll never forget it!  This quit I found the right NRT for me and that made all the difference in the world for me.  I understand that you are reluctant to use any type of NRT, so you might want to read through the Forums to find out what others here have done to make it through major craves!  Use the search button to find relevant posts! 

Also, do what ever you can to distract yourself from thinking about smoking!  Myself, I basically lived on this site for a couple months reading and posting!  The distraction was invaluable and I learned a bunch about nicotine addiction and how to defeat addiction!  Keep a positive mental attitude as much as possible!  Keep telling yourself how bad you want this quit and that you CAN do this!  A positive attitude will make the whole quitting experience much better for you!  

Hang tough, Melony!  You CAN do this! 

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 4

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My gut went into repeated spasms/ cramps when I quit. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but I lived through it. The vision I got was of my inner addict running around and sucking out every last bit of nicotine that was left in my system until I cramped up.

If it worries you, check with a doc. In the meantime, I hear that magnesium (in the form of supplements or as Epsom salts in a bath) can help with muscle cramps in general. Not sure if that applies to this situation, but it seems worth a try. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 8

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi pudinpop,

Congrats on the 12 hrs smoke free! Sorry to hear you are feeling stiff. 

If there are ever concerns or you are experiencing too much discomfort, please do not hesitate to contact your doctor.

Muscles stiffness has been known to be a withdrawal symptom and will start to subside after a few days as should your other symptoms. I can recommend a few things for relieving muscle tension. You can have a hot bath/shower, do deep breathing exercises (in, hold, out, hold), and/or do some low/medium intensity exercise.

We are not doctors, and have only certain information at our disposal so if you have concerns or you are experiencing too much discomfort, please do not hesitate to contact your doctor.

Stick with it, your body is already beginning to heal.

Have any members had any similar experience? any tips? 
Matthew - Health Educator

11 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI guys ,Im 12 hrs smoke free...but my hands and legs feel  very stiff...was wondering if this is normal...I got my freinds telling me to go to the ER and stuff....But i think they may be  over worried....Other then that im going thro the usual withdrawl symptoms such as  feeling emotional and the flu like stuff....SO if anyone could shed some light on this,that would be great!! Thank You!!

Sincerly Mel!! 

Reading this thread: