Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Losing Faith

13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hopeful!

Thought I'd let you know you are not alone.  I'm at day 21 today and finding myself thinking the same thoughts as yourself.  I have not really struggled too badly until today, so I get what you mean about it seeming harder as time goes by but I truly believe deep down that this is just a speed hump on the road to recovery.  Just because we feel that way, it is not a command telling us to light up.  It is just a thought or a feeling and thankfully we have the right to make a choice.  Im choosing to stay smoke free and I hope you make that choice too.

Brenda is totally right though...those thoughts are not our thoughts.  They are the addiction and we should shut them down immmediately.   Like Samantha said we need to distinguish between the severity of the craving and the tiredness. I am tired from all the thinking and self talk and am really quite drained but the truth is, if I light up now I'll  be much more tired in another 5, 10, 15 yrs time when my brain  and lungs aren't getting enough oxygen!

Hang in there and know that I am struggling but succeeding right along side you
13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow -- what a great insight, Brenda!  I too have been a constant fighter (and loser)!  What great advice just to turn tail and run like heck!  I LOVE it!  I finally get to embrace my inner wimp!  Thanks!!
pete

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 9/13/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 150
Amount Saved: $42.38
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 15 Mins: 56 Seconds: 53

13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hopeful, yes, it is true that we're all going to die, and it may even be true that most of us contribute to our own deaths in some way, but death is not dignified. It is not virtuous. Unless, or until, the cancer eats away at the pain center in your brain, lung cancer leads to extreme suffering. Having COPD isn't a pleasant way to leave here, either. Imagine feeling like a fish out of water for 15-25 years before your lungs or heart completely fail. I was talking to someone about the nicodemon yesterday. I told her that I think one of the reasons my quit has been successful this time is because I decided to run from the demon--not to engage it in conversation or give it any air time. My demon is a genius. It's smarter than I am, and it's cunning and baffling. That why it won during all the other attempts when I thought I could just beat it--head2head. Trying to beat the demon is like taking on the devil and thinking you'll end up the bigger a**hole in the end. You will not win that contest.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 470
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,160
Amount Saved: $5,593.00
Life Gained:
Days: 52 Hrs: 21 Mins: 30 Seconds: 42

13 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW that nico demon really has a hold of your mind, yes everyone does have to die of something, but why fighting for, awful way to go, I almost lost my quit at 11 days and i thanks God and A special quit buddy that i made it, iam hoping to see you around showing us that you DID NOT give in, the quit is not for sissys it takes work and determination and being stubborn that you are just better than the smoke and the addiction, don't give up the fight is worth it all  Tresa
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2927
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 70,248
Amount Saved: $12,293.40
Life Gained:
Days: 384 Hrs: 7 Mins: 41 Seconds: 16

13 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there, as you said to me, "I'm right there with you". Don't try to rationalize reasons TO smoke, rationalize ones NOT TO smoke  I had a really bad night last night at my part time job, would really have liked to reach out and touch some one if you know what I mean, and boy would I have liked a smoke to help calm me but I talked myself out of it. Keep trying ... one smoke at a time
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 13
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 156
Amount Saved: $43.68
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 7 Mins: 26 Seconds: 24

13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi hopeful,

Our Support Group members call the second smoke-free week ’heck week’. It’s called ‘heck week; because the withdrawal symptoms and cravings are not as severe as they are during ‘hell week’ (the first week).

However, during this second week you might feel ‘tired of fighting’ the withdrawal symptoms and cravings. It’s important for you to measure the difference between feeling tired of fighting withdrawal symptoms, and their actual level of severity. After you set your quit date we begin to have you fill out your Cravings Diary. Your Cravings Diary (located in your Glove Compartment), has been designed to allow you to actually see how your withdrawal symptoms and cravings decrease.

By seeing how cravings decrease the diary will help you visualize the difference between cravings and feeling tired of fighting. Make sure to use your Craving’s Diary each day for the first few months of your quit.
It’s also important to realize that each quitter experiences different withdrawal symptoms - yours will be unique.

Although they may be unpleasant, they do and will pass. When you experience withdrawal symptoms and cravings, remind yourself that each symptom is a sign of recovery. Your body is healing itself and is learning how to live nicotine.

If you have a withdrawal symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. It’s possible that your tobacco use has masked the symptoms of some other illness, and when you quit these symptoms may abruptly become noticeable.

We are here for you, stay strong!

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been smoke free for 11 days now and last week was my heck week and this week has been my hell week.
I miss smoking. I am sitting here all the time saying, " was it really that bad?!"  Yeah smoking kills, but were all going to die eventually! Everybody has told me that everyday that you dont smoke it gets a little easier but for me its getting harder. I seriously want to cry all the time.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 7/31/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 11
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 550
Amount Saved: $121.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 19 Mins: 26 Seconds: 16

Reading this thread: