Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

CRAVINGS AT NIGHT

15 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Patrick:  Nice to have another member of the diabetes club.  I've had Type 1 since the age of 23.  No hospitalizations or anything just constant vigilence with insulin and blood testing.  The quitting smoking has become important to me now because I do want to live as long as I can.  There was a time when that was secondary.   But today, I want to live, live and live some more.  I have one strike against me with the diabetes so why add another?  Thanks for all your encouragement.  It's difficult but not impossible.  I just need to relax and accept that all of the cravings will go away.  JUST DONT hang out with people who are smoking, don't buy a pack of cigarettes, and do something other than think about it.  Life is way too short for me to cut it even shorter so Carpe Diem!  Lisa    
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 120
Amount Saved: $42.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 16 Mins: 43 Seconds: 15

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to be positive in your recovery, Lisa.... great idea to keep an eye on the seniors in the neighbourhood.  Join the diabetes club... I was diagnosed with T2 in November 2004 and I've been learning ever since how to alter a lifetime's worth of bad eating habits...  keep up that volunteer spirit... it's so valuable.  That's not Pollyanna; that's compassion.

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 158
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,950
Amount Saved: $1,777.50
Life Gained:
Days: 29 Hrs: 9 Mins: 50 Seconds: 50

15 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After dinner....what a nightmare.  I ate and ate and ate......luckily, I want to gain weight so I just ate some more.  I also found that getting out of my own head worked wonders.  I happen to live in a neighborhood with some elderly neighbors and so I just walked around the neighborhood to check in with some of those who don't get out much.  One of them was recently diagnosed with diabetes which I happen to know a lot about (being one myself) and I was able to show him how to test his blood, take his shots, etc.  I know it sounds Pollyana but putting myself aside, and my desires, ie smoking, and looking to help someone else did the trick.  Day 6............................Lisa
15 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
THANKS,

I LIKE VERY MUCH IDEAS AND I LIKE THE FORUM, I FEEL LESS ALONE IN MY JOURNEY TO QUIT. I WILL GIVE IT A TRY TO THE CROSSROADS IDEA.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 11
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 220
Amount Saved: $27.50
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 9 Mins: 19 Seconds: 1

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wine,

Great preparation and replacement ideas.  These are also good for keeping busy.  Continue changing your routine, you will find that it helps with the triggers and craves. Do get to sleep early and use some relaxation techniques instead of "eating rampages".  Long baths or shower, books, magazines, even crosswords, can help. Your routine may have caused you to smoke more at night, so it will take some time to change this schedule.  Take it step by step and plan each night ahead of time to avoid the craves and temptation.

Congrats on 11 days!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there winelover!  I felt like you did too.  In fact, some days for me still feel like that, but it DOES get better!

:)
Jen

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 49
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 980
Amount Saved: $245.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 2 Mins: 50 Seconds: 0

Hey Daily,

I really like the puzzle idea!!!!. Thats very creative, I am going to try that combined with some exercise after supper. I should be ok for a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 8 Mins: 5 Seconds: 3

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Winelover,

I don't think I welcomed you to the SSC, so welcome!!

I found that my cravings were also worse at night. I think it was because I let my guard down, and would basically have the same after work routine. So, what I did was change my routine, and this helped a bunch. I had my daughter walking the dogs in the evening, and took that away from her. So I walk them. Not only am I getting exercise, my evening routine has been interrupted to where the smoking challenge has disappeared.

I hope this helps, at least somewhat.

Goofy

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 239
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,560
Amount Saved: $1,505.70
Life Gained:
Days: 42 Hrs: 23 Mins: 29 Seconds: 18

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're pre-occupied and busy (diverted) during the day, Winelover.. .In the evening you are stuck with the fatigue (?) and the Sahara that isTV; pick two shows from the guide that you really want to see and then, yes, get some reading material that you'll be interested in (A Critique of Bad Television?).  Buy yourself a jigsaw puzzle and a small table to leave it on...  do something with your hands - spread a newspaper around you and whittle a piece of wood - you might be a carver? 

Don't worry too much right now about the eating situation... keep the focus on the smoking Quit.  You're doing great! Get more fruit that you like to munch on rather than the carbohydrates like granola bars and cereals and crackers....

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 157
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,925
Amount Saved: $1,766.25
Life Gained:
Days: 29 Hrs: 5 Mins: 11 Seconds: 17

HELLO,

Most of my cravings occur at night. My day goes very well in the morning and afternoon. I drink a lot of iced water and chew a lot of gum. I am also busy at work so I forget about cravings.

At night, after my girlfriend sleeps and i usually watch tv. I cant do this anymore. Why...It is because I get an irrestibille urge to smoke. I have decided to go on the internet but I find sometimes that is hard because again I GET CRAVINGS!!!. I am going to say goodbye to watching movies at night and start sleeping early so I can replace the habit that prompt me to smoke. Tonight I will try reading at night to see if it works. It will be hard because I am not used to do that. So this week it will be the week that I will replace tv at night by reading.

In addition, I have a hard time to sit still at night. I go on eating rampages...Last night, I eat crackers, cereal, granola bars and finally I was ok.

Can somebody provide some insight about why our cravings to smoke are the hardest at night.

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 7 Mins: 57 Seconds: 4

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter