Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Depression vs Smoking

15 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning Crik,

I am just trying to get back on my quit.  I relapsed when dealing with the depression got to be too much.  I remember how happy I was when I quit smoking for five months.  I know I can do this.  I know quitting will actually help battle my depression at the same time.  We can do this.  It's just a matter of changing our thinking.  It's such an easy thing to say.  I believe if we choose to pour our hearts into it we can make it as easy as we choose.  Quitting smoking can be such a positive thing, totally positive.  I'm working on changing my thinking, preparing for a new quit, building up my strength and confidence.  I'm writing a lot hoping that I will take the time to read my own words when the quit gets hard and find strength.  Today I am getting the book by Allen Carr to help quit smoking.  I see that he has one specific to women as well.  Not sure which one I will choose but I find having a self-help book helps give me a direction in what I am trying to battle.

Hang in there.  When you're ready there are a lot of people here to help you on your way.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/14/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 2
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 22
Amount Saved: $9.68
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 6 Mins: 54 Seconds: 33

15 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Crik, You can get through it, despite the depression. The biggest help is this very site. Depression is very much a part of quitting and in my mind is one of the reasons so many give up trying. A journal helps, Vitamin B complex and B12 also help, coming here and posting helps most of all. We have been through it and we know how hard it feels. Keep one thought in mind, and that is, no matter how bad it may seem today, tomorrow will always be better!
Come here when you feel down and read read read, remind yourself that smoking will never improve any situation and that Smoking is NOT an option! NOPE!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 498
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,450
Amount Saved: $5,253.90
Life Gained:
Days: 65 Hrs: 10 Mins: 20 Seconds: 52

15 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Crik, nice to see you back!

Now that I am on the other side I realize that smoking never helped me or any situation I was in.

and now as I watch my husband, who shares my quit date, suffer with periodontal disease I wish I had quit years ago.

Keep getting introspective, perhaps a quit journal, write down what works for you, what makes you happy, good coping skills etc....I notice you typically start a new thread after people reply, so perhaps capture people's replies to you for reference, perhaps in a folder to help perk you up and carry you through the tough times to know we are supporting you always.

There a book some talk about that is really good for perspective, I can't remember what it is called but some one will be on to post it.

I wish you all the very best.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/3/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 439
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,390
Amount Saved: $878.00
Life Gained:
Days: 42 Hrs: 20 Mins: 22 Seconds: 12

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Crik,

You are very productive and active about your progress and this is great.  Continue to challenge those negative thoughts and move forward.  We are here to support and we know you can do this step by step.

Your determination is amazing!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Crik- your honesty alone is refreshing-I find it hard to admit I have suffered from depression for many years and apart from meds have  never had any cognitive or therapy help (reason being is that it is not offered if anti-depressant meds are accepted by the patient readily and probably in all honesty -maybe not wanting to know the cause) anyway that aside, although I am depression free at the moment I know it can rear its head at any time and I am not sure how I would cope then. Its very easy to say hang in there if you have never suffered but for those who have, and do, we wish it were that easy.
The only thing I can say is that smoking added to the depression, especially as I am getting older.
So yes I agree with you there is a battle to be fought, however, you do seem to have looked at all the options and have started to put plans in place. Also you have recognised and acknowledged there are going to be tough times ahead and those things alone seem like solid coping mechanisms to me.
All I can say is in addition to all the meditation and books etc I am here for you with a listening ear at any time-oh and think of a really super duper reward................I'd love to hear about it :)

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 66
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,650
Amount Saved: $990.00
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 19 Mins: 42 Seconds: 39

15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much everyone  I got little tears in my eyes reading your support messages.  Ron talked about tackling one issue at a time.  Smoking vs depression. I guess I would pick quitting smoking first because the depression just might go on too long and I so need to quit. I suspect quitting and the attendent taking care of my health will help alleviate SOME of the depression.  Its going to be a two edge battle I fight. Has anyone successfully battled both? I'll be concurrently working on depression, visiting the sister site here and using a book I have to try cognitive therapy...along with the minfullness and meditation That I have done in the past.Very possibly now is the worst part.  Still using, being miserable and fearing the quit.  I don't think I can get much more depressed than I am (somewhat non-functioning).  I pray I don't eat those words! Currently I am trying to think of rewards.  That is VERY difficult. ps.  I hope I don't depress anyone with my ngst.  There is a lake of joy in me and some day you will all hear about it I swear.

Reading this thread: