Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,648 Members

Please welcome our newest members: JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA

Coping Skills

17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady - You put that so well (and succinctly!) and it really is great coping advice. Another thing I'd like to elaborate on is what you said about the voice in your head being the junkie thoughts... When they hit me, I stop, acknowledge them and then tell them to go away, and not bother me, cause I don't smoke anymore and don't want or need to. And, so far, that's seemed to work. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 369 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $122.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$119,594.48

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6404 Hours: 5

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, Your post did help someone. It helped me. Found it a little rough today. Came here for inspiration and I found it. My last week has been wonderful. No craves, actually not many thoughts of smoking either. And then today...BOOM...there it was. A craving!!!! I would never act on it, I cherish my quit as well. It doesn't surprise me anymore when a craving rears its ugly head out of the blue. I learn to expect them, but sometimes they still leave you feeling a little tired. Thanks for post. Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 105 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,170 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $945 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[color=Teal]Oh Lady... between your incredible post here and ladycigevictor I've learned more today than since I stopped smoking on April 4th. Thank you both from the bottom of my heart for sharing your inspiration, your knowledge and incredible words of wisdom. J xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 616 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $246 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shared experiences is always essential in assisting others! Thank you for this amazing and knowledgeable post. You have helped more than you think :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, Great Post!, and all you 'oldies' out there - please give everybody the benefit of your experience! Mr Ed :)
17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, [quote] There is nothing greater than being a person who is free from the enslavement of smoking. [/quote] I agree...life will throw all sorts of stuff our way...but we can keep our quits no matter how difficult it gets. Thank you for your another great post. :) Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,618 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1260 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

$121,382.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 966 Hours: 18

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Coping skills are extremely important when we quit smoking. As smokers, we dealt with each situation and each emotion by smoking. We smoked when we were happy, sad, excited, depressed, bored, busy and everything else. One of the hardest things about quitting smoking are finding new ways to deal with the emotions that are a part of everyday life. This site is so wonderful because it allows people to share ideas that have helped along the way. I wanted to pass some of what I have learned along the way. Drinking ice water helps to eliminate that �taste� for a cigarette. Deep breaths are important as well. When we smoked we took a lot of deep breaths, as we inhaled. Some times, I would actually pretend to be smoking as I did this. It was better than the real thing. Know that no matter what comes your way, smoking will not help. The voices in your head telling you that it will are just junkie thinking hard at work. Remember that we can all do anything for just five minutes. When the days seem too long, the situation too tough, or you feel like you are going to totally lose your mind, hold on for just five more minutes. When those minutes are up, do another five. Take one step at a time and be very patient with yourself. We all smoked a long time and it takes a while to learn to live as a non-smoker. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you and pick up some new hobby. Be proud of your quit. So many smokers just �wish� they could quit and you are actually doing it! When you feel you can't go on, go to the mirror and look at that non-smoker looking back at you. You wouldn't want to let that person looking back at you down. My quit road has not been an easy one to travel. I don't think many of them are. Something I would like to share with you is the fact that there have been times over the last several months when it seems my quit was all I had to hold on to. I cherish it and don't intend to give it up for any reason, at any time. It really is worth everything you may be going through now. There is nothing greater than being a person who is free from the enslavement of smoking. I hope this helps someone. Lady [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 666 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B]

Reading this thread: