Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Quitting one day at a time

17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, Thanks for the reminder that we may run into times when we need to "remember" to protect our quit and be strong. I'm sure they get less and less as time goes on! Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 844 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $209 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was just reading a thread about predicting success and it made me think about my day. At this point in my quit, I still have craves but I don't think of smoking as an option. However, recently things have been really hectic and stressful at work. At the end of the day, I got called out to handle an emergency. I knew that I would be sitting with a Smoker while dealing with this issue. I actually thought that this would be very difficult and even said to myself "Well...if you can't cope without a cigarette...you can always smoke" I figured there was no need worrying about whether I could handle it or not. If I couldn't handle it...so be it (I also reminded myself of my "One day at a time" philosophy....which is to try and just "survive" until the end of a bad day....just get through the day. Anyway.....it was stressful but I did not need a cigarette to handle it. The other person was smoking the entire time that I was there and I did not have the urge to ask for a cigarette. I knew that I didn't need a cigarette to get through the crisis. I have thought of my quit as a series of hurdles. For the most part, the run is getting smoother and the hurdles are getting easier....but I know that I will hit new challenges each step of the way...and on those really bad days or at those times when I am tempted, I think I will continue to quit "one day at a time". Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,898 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $470 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, I just had a visual of you running in your cute little shorts with matching shoes jumping over hurdles. The wind is blowing in your face and you having a winning smile and George and Sammy are right beside you. :eg: You are such a great example. Look behind you. What do you see? Us, we are running just as hard, doing it one day at a time. You are such a gift. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 44 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $12 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 607 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wonderful to hear that coming from you windy!! See, one day at a time. I'm so excited for this holiday because I had to go back to that philosphy of one day at a time in order to make it through my brother's anniversary of his death. This was the first year I didn't smoke and hide from facing the facts. I actually went to his grave and well, said GOOD BYE. It felt so good and I felt loving arms around me when I did as if in a hug saying "see ya later". I am now able to focus on having the most wonderful holiday. Hugs Kim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 191 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,783 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $773.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, Very profound and insightful! One day at a time is all that we can ask for :) Thanks for challenging us to make one day after another smoke-free :) Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: