Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Words from a cancer survivor

17 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had an aunt that died from cancer a few years ago. It started out as a lump on the back of her neck (she thought it was a boil) and ended up a few months later with cancer spread through out her body. She was a heavy smoker and it was obvious that the years she spent smoking is what caused the cancer, but come the day of the funeral every smoker in my family starts saying things like "well you know she didn't eat right" and "she repaired microwave ovens for a few years" or "I think she grew up near a power plant come to think of it". It was insane. Instead of just saying what they were all thinking and that was "damn I guess cigarettes realy do kill ya. Maybe I ought to take a lesson from this poor woman and stop smoking myself while I am still alive to make the decision" :gasp: They're all standing around trying to blame the power company lol Everytime I see a picture of my aunt I get po'd at myslef for not standing up that day and saying "Stop this nonsence. We need to stop smoking now." But I kept my mouth shut and quietly asked someone if I could bumb a lite. Well not anymore! Im standing up now and saying enough is enough. I don't want to get that call from the doctor. And I am so glad to hear your good news sunshine :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 322 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
UNREAL--- I have a passion for life - life has improved 188% since I quit smoking - I never dreamed it would be this nice - BUT - as long as I was addicted, I was certain life would be unbearable and miserable without the cigarettes. Thank goodness that wasn't the truth - it was the addiction talking. AND PURE CLASS THANKYOU JACKO(UK) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/27/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 788 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �225 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Joe, Thank you so much for this post, I can so relate to this. I was told I had a tumor at the base of my brain stem just 7 days ago. And that it was inoperable, then I was to start radiation treatments on Monday of this week, but on Sunday I had another scan, and nothing showed up...I also take that as an answer to many prayers...And I am so very grateful... This is an amazing story, and I could feel the joy in this persons words. This person has a lot of good advise about helping people quit smoking, I could feel the gentleness and compassion. Thanks Joe!! Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 186 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,173 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $651 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$229,979.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6398 Hours: 2

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote] I have a passion for life - life has improved 188% since I quit smoking - I never dreamed it would be this nice - BUT - as long as I was addicted, I was certain life would be unbearable and miserable without the cigarettes. Thank goodness that wasn't the truth - it was the addiction talking. [/quote] To me, this is the most amazing part of quitting. Thanks for sharing this story. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 376 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,528 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1316 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exellent post, Joe. Too bad she (shaving legs?) had to have surgery to find out he PET scan lied. At least it's better to not have the cancer. [quote]We give heroin addicts detox and rehab centers. Lots of help if they'll take it. Only recently have we had ANYthing to offer smokers to quit cigarettes. Cigarettes contain a drug - it is an addictive drug - smokers often need help to break free from the addiction - It is cruel that so many children have become addicted to this drug - legally - one day I hope it is illegal for all.[/quote] This is something that just really grates on me. If a couple are heroin or coke addicts, the authorities will take their kids for the kids protection and the couple will recieve treatment and counseling. But if a couple are just smokers their kids are allowed to spend their growing years in a cloud of second-hand smoke which is much worse to be around for the long term than coke or heroin. And then there are all the other forms of nicotine delivery: chew, dip, cigars, pipes, and now even a tasty drink! Sheee! OK, get down off the soap box, Shevie. Again, great post, Joe. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 415 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,312 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1577 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 77 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post! Thanks for sharing. Not cravin', never cavin'. Hummy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 433 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,348 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2814.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$472,451.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5384 Hours: 3

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: