Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Lousy Days Are Back Again

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ty Diva, I think you are quite awesome too.  You have so much creativity with your music and your painting and now I learn about story telling.  Those are definitely gifts and talents.  You also have alot of insight and have kept me going.  It's nice to know that we appreciate each other and our contributions to the group!
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya CM,

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I understand how you feel. I wish I had great advice for you. All I can say is I really empathize with your situation. Hang in there.

Srenght, I have been away a while as well. Glad to hear you are spending time with family.

Goofy, Yay! You go girl! You are awesome!
Good to see you Strength;  Also glad to hear you are spending time with your family.  Played any board games lately?
I am making progress.  One room the floor is layed.  hip hip hooray!!!!! 
Thanks for the compliments as well.  I been missing you and I look forward to hearing from you!
14 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's great to read about all your progress Goofy! The house, the part-time job, teaching classes...everything! I've been a little MIA on the site lately..really busy with work these days and with my family! I do check in quite frequently to read the posts and love to hear from you!

Strength 
Thanks for the compliments.  It made my day.  I do work part time but not as a vocational rehabilitation counselor or as a counselor.  I am working at an entry level position at an alcohol and drug(A/D) treatment center part-time.  I am teaching a  couple of classes there - using some stuff I've learned about CBT in school and here.  I also teach classes based on the AA/NA program.  I am working on getting a certification as an A/D counselor.  However, only working part-time it will take a while - which I'm grateful that I have time to work on it. 

I also work in the summer in landscaping.  I did that this past year for the first time in a labor intensive occupation since pre-college.  I love it.  Plan to do it when the weather is right.  Between the two jobs I won't work a 40 hour week.

My goal is to get back into counseling one day.  Right now is not good.  It is easier to have time and think when I type than to carry on a conversation.  If you know what I mean. 
However, I'm glad I gave you some different outlooks and you are right, my whole life I've found great reward in helping other people.  Sometimes in my real home life I still feel like I have a big C for counselor stamped on my forehead as people will seek me out to talk to....my listening skills are good.  I find that a high compliment as well. 

Anyway, I'm rattling, thanks again for making my day.  Keep us posted on your job hunt!
14 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ya goofy:

Thank-you for your words of encouragement, they mean a lot to me.

You have a lot of knowledge about this subject and offer very good advice, thank-you.
I am prepared to do data entry, I guess I haven't given the matter full consideration.  You asked a good question one I hadn't thought about since I have over 10 years experience in accounting, I will look at this aspect with the job developer at the college.

As for liability issues we are covered under the college, the business would have to complete a WSIB form.  I know of one program and an employment agency that specifically assists people with disabilities find employment.  I am will be obtaining a referral from my family doctor when I see her next month for the employment program.  

You say you haven''t been able to work due to your depression, but I''ll tell you something.  The advice you offered me didn't sound in anyway coming from a depressed person, it came from a person reaching out to another using the knowledge and experience you have acquired.  There would be a lot of people I'm sure who would welcome your advice and what came through to me in your reply was a passion.  Passion to try and help another person.

It's true that when we help another we actually in turn help ourselves.  In helping me I hope you see in yourself the qualities, empathy and experience you have that would benefit others in my situation.

Take care and all the best on your journey.

Hi Ya Andy:

Thank-you for taking time out to offer your words of encouragement.

You are right, looking back from where I was 3 years ago till now is like day and night.  I have accomplished a lot and don't give myself enough credit for it, in fact I tend to dismiss it.   You know what from where I have come from (the pit) has taken a lot of strength, courage and internal fortitude.  I know it sounds like I have given up but that's just not in me or I wouldn't be in the place I am today.  I think it's time to look at all my options, which I have been doing.

All the best on your journey.

caden

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Caden,

It does sound like you are stuck.  However, it is very hard to be unstuck when you are having a conversation with your insecurities.  We have all been there, doubting our abilities. It is a very hard and almost a lonely place to be.  But everyone has insecurities, especially when it comes to the workplace.  Building confidence can come with more experience, it can also come from within.  

From your posts you sound like a very intelligent, rational person.  Being ticked off in the work place is no fun but I have a sense you would be very good at handling this.    Deadlines also can be stressful but as a placement student it will be a great start practising with deadlines.  Try not to be too afraid of failure. Fail does not have to be a four letter word.  We all have to fail to learn and if you are doing it as a learning experience with school then that's even better! 

It sounds like you really want this.  You used the word passion when describing what you would like to do.  This is a big deal to you.  I think being productive to society and working is actually a big value of yours.  I have a sense that working towards fulfilling this value would actually add a lot of happiness to your life.  It may add stress but it's about how you manage it. 

How do you think you would feel if you eventually found a job you liked and were good at?

How can you get yourself out of this loop?  What will it take?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ya Josie:

Thanks for your words of encouragement.  I have spoken with my professors and classmates as some of the people in class are having problems finding a placement too.  You see I want to find a placement in an office doing what accounting, specifically my passion of analyzing and reconciling, resolving very old issues.  Which is in itself the problem, you see a lot of my classmates have found either volunteer or work placements in the social work field, not office related.  It seems that these types of organizations are more receptive than businesses.

As for trying a head hunter, you see my biggest obstacle is well - me.  I don't think I can handle deadlines, I wonder if I will panic, if someone ticks me off how I will respond.  All of these things I never thought about before, I was always very sure of my capabilities and my ability to make a difference.  Through my emotional roller coaster this has all been stripped away to the bare bones - shall we say.  Where on one hand I really want to work, to contribute, to make a difference and on the other hand wonder about my ability now to handle the office environment.

It's another one of those pathetic feedback loops where I just keep going round and round, getting more and more down on myself for losing 3 years of my life that I can't get back and now my inability to move forward.

In short - I'm stuck!

Reading this thread: