Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Shyness and Sensitivity

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post ~m!

I never looked at it like that but you are so right. Very helpful. Labels can be very damaging.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Two other things have helped me get over paralyzing "shyness" ... one is medications for social anxiety which help in ways I don't understand... they just gave me the boost to get out there and practice being with people in a way that was not terrifying for me.

The other thing that helped was that I quit calling myself "shy".  I prefer to think of myself as "reserved".  Shyness connotes fear to me.  Shyness means I CAN'T interact with people without wanting to just die inside.  Being reserved means I CAN interact with people on my own terms... in a quiet, comfortable mode.  Being comfortable in my own skin in the presence of other humans did not happen overnight.... but changing how I perceived myself certainly helped get me going in the right direction.  When I slip and start getting anxious again... I find it very soothing to remind myself that I am reserved and that is just fine.  I can socialize in a manner that suits me and feel confident doing it.  The more I do it.  The more confident I get.  The easier it is.....

Pete,

Being shy can be a curse. It can be so isolating and confidence destroying; speaking as a former (sometimes current) shy person. For me, I was lucky enough to have a job early on that forced me out of my shyness. I enjoy having "real" conversations with people so as terrifying as it was it was still a gift. I still have to push myself in many situations to not be shy and sometimes I fail. Some other situations I feel more confident and I don't even think about my shyness any more.

As with anything you are anxious about the more you expose yourself to what you fear the easier it becomes. Also, the more you avoid it the more it reinforces the fear.

It sounds like shyness has taken a lot from you Pete. Perhaps it's time you stop letting it take from you? How can you fight back now? No excuses either!

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am shy. Very shy.

How has it affected my life? It's been a curse, a barrier, a constant sapping of my self-respect. It's been at the root of my difficulties with loving myself, and my feelings of inferiority. It makes me feel cut off, substandard, and has led me to be secretive, dishonest, self-absorbed in a shut-in, circular kind of a way.

Have I challenged it? Barely. It's so much a bedrock of who I am, I can't conceive of living life as a man devoid of shyness. I don't know how people do it.

I blame my shyness, and thus my very nature, for my lack of achievement, all my regrets and failures, my dearth of friends ... you name it.
Do you consider yourself shy?

How does being shy effect your life?

How have you challenged your shyness?

Please post your thoughts on shyness here!

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: