Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Core beliefs and the voice that reminds me of my mother

16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mybigmouth, Again, this will take time so keep working through the program and if you need additional assistance for your panic, visit our sister site: www.paniccenter.net Danielle ______________________ The DC Support Team
16 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This has been my problem my whole life. My mom was into self help books and seminaars and would talk talk talk, but rarely follow through, not that she didn't try. She did, it just didn't work as far as sparing me from emotional abuse. So I've known and recognized what my core issues, beliefs are, but have never gotten past just being mad at her for making me this way. I have had a few that have gone away as long as Im not around her, but still, working with CBT, trying to change my reactions to the issues I've been in therapy for three years with this new therapist and working with CBT. Still feel like a 9 yo girl when she does her usual crap. I don't want to feel this way any more, now my daughters severe depression is reminding me how I felt in my teen years. The only difference is that now I am able to compartmentalize things more so they are as over whelming. When it is overwhelming then I have a panic attack. I just want to be normal, not damaged.
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mybigmouth, No. You can change them but they are core beliefs so it will take some time. Pat yourself on the back, recognizing them and identifying patterns is the first step. Danielle ____________________ The DC Support Team
16 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After reading the first post in this topic, it's nice to know Im not the only one who has a little voice, however mine is my mothers. Totally annoying. Im doing the program, tracking my moods. Generally my moods seem to be better when Im having a happy moment. My depression and energy level has been rather good this last couple of weeks. I have read and read on depression and the brain and trauma, and all sorts. Im in complete logical understanding of the reasons why Im doing things, but changing the actions is and has taken three years of counseling and cbt. I must have alot to work out, but is it possible that the core beliefs are so rooted that they can't be changed?

Reading this thread: