Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Severe Motivational Problems

14 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cvdeb,

I'm glad you've found this site. I've found it to be extremely helpful. It's sad but comforting to know I'm not the only one who feels like this.  Just reading posts helps me motivate myself. I'm sorry you feel so low, but as you said we are not alone. Congrats on quitting, I wish I could muster that strength myself! Sometimes it helps me to just force myself everyday to get up and shower, even if it takes some time to accomplish this. You never know if it will lead to accomplishing something more that day. 
14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Melcuff,

You are not alone.  I'm feeling exactly as you are, but I'm also new.  I just started taking an antidepressent yesterday (Pristiq), and just finished reading the first session here.  I too can barely get out of bed, have missed work, feel like a shower would be a huge overwhelming task.... it's pretty bad.  I found the site because I quit smoking (which I think) triggered the depression.  I've been diagnosed with MDD/generalized anxiety disorder.  Hopefully the meds will help along with working this program. 

Nice to meet you :)
deb
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
lol, strength, glad you clarified "advicea', too.  I miss seeing you.....we like to read success stories too, ya know....if things are swinging that way; let us know how you are going about things.  I'm always looking for something new to try.

14 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're full of it indeed Goofy! Full of really great advice and your always so supportive! I appreciate you! Even though I haven't been around too much recently, I still read the new posts and I am always glad to hear from you!

Strength 

Melcuff, thanks, as I said this program is an integral part of my recovery and I've come so far, so very far.  I sometimes slip into saying "pre-depression" and post-depression".  Oh, but there is such a difference.  I don't know if it's a negative belief and I need to get rid of it.  I do know I have to accept who I am today.  That's hard when you know what things used to be like.
Keep working on those goals.  Keep posting.  Work the sessions.  I will give another piece of advice....do them at your own pace.  The program says a week, I thought I gotta get this done, I gotta get this done, I wanted a quick fix and I wanted it NOW.  I had to back up and start over.  I wasn't being thorough enough for ME and I needed the extra time.  The moderators don't mind or no one is gonna kick you out if you take longer.  Just know that CBT is proven through studies to be the most effective treatment for person's with depression.....that was enough to keep me wanting to do this and do it right.  And it has helped tremendously.  I do have my bad days and go through rough times - you'll find those on here, too.  But work the sessions one by one at your own pace. 
lol, I'm full of it- advice.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MelKuff,

Congratulations on accomplishing several tasks! You did a great job on breaking your larger task into smaller ones and diving in! As goofy said, reward yourself for getting things done by doing something you enjoy (taking a walk, listening to music..etc). I can hear that you are determined and enthusiastic about the progress you are making. Continue working hard and staying focused on your goals. 

Samantha, Health Educator
Hi Goofy! Thanks for the positive feedback. I've read some of your posts and enjoyed your insight. I find lists helpful as well. Ever since I've been taking my meds (which has been for years now) they are pretty much a necessity because of short term memory problems. They also give me direction as I have trouble with staying on task and focusing on completing certain "to-dos".

I am working on breaking my current thought patterns but it's tough! Sometimes I forget and "like it should" or "if I was normal" pops into my my mind unconsciously. Recognizing black and white thinking is getting much better though. When you think a certain way from very early on in life it's hard to change those habits. I am determined to do this, and excited to know there is finally a way to beat my depression, but it's certainly not going to be easy. 

Melcuff - wow, what a great job in accomplishing some tasks!!!!!  I am glad to hear just posting helped you to get started.  I come here everyday - you may tire of seeing me, lol - but it is motivation by itself.  Keep us posted. 
Give yourself permission to not think something is "like it should".  In reference to your statement.  Not using it as an excuse, but we have depression and things aren't like they should.  It's okay.  Do what you can today.  You'll find Diva has a post on "I'm a mess" where she is talking about using lists.  They are helping her.  Also remember to reward yourself and even if you don't do that keep something fun to do in your schedule of things to do.  Anything from read, to a walk, to taking a bath...whatever you enjoy.  btw, what do you like to do for fun, entertainment, etc.?
Samantha - 

Just finding courage to post made my day a little easier. I forced myself through the daily hygiene bit and dusted, mopped, and cleaned up the kitchen! When I first saw how messy the downstairs was I was as overwhelmed as I had been in previous days, but I looked at each room separately and imagined having to clean only that room alone. It didn't seem so difficult after that. I even managed to dust and vacuum the hallway and dining room. Today I hope to get the living room and bathroom done. And then take a walk. 

I am still struggling to get started in the mornings and must force myself to get up and out of bed. I am just glad I finally got something done. It's been a couple of weeks since I've been productive in any way at all.
Any tips on how to get back on a normal schedule?

14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi MelKuff,

You are not alone - many members on this forum have felt the same and you may not believe it now but the way you are feeling will change.
If it is difficult to get out of bed, start small.  Instead of thinking about everything you have to accomplish, pick one task and congratulate yourself when you do complete it.  It can be as simple as getting dressed.
Also, have a look at the toolbox section - there are some very useful worksheets and articles.
Remember, we are all here to provide you support.

Members, what are some other ways MelKuff can get motivated to accomplish some tasks?

Samantha, Health Educator

Reading this thread: