Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-16 2:52 AM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-16 1:17 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,610 Members

Please welcome our newest members: bae2024, bar2024, bar24, Dh92, DQUIRSTEN MARGARETTE

So here I am after 3 long hard years

14 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I read your post and felt thankful to have people who experience a lot of the same things. Thing is, we all have different lives and different situations, but when it comes down to it, we are all here for the same reason. We seak help. We seek support. I feel I should speak to my family about this because they are a good support system but, I also feel like a burden to them. I am so tired of repeating my issues to them and I sense they feel the same. They are getting tired of hearing the same story. Though I have gotten better, The fact is I am not all better. I still struggle every day. I can understand how you might feel that you really want to love and be well with your family all the time, its just those times when it gets really hard that you feel like you don't even want to try. Am I right? I hope all goes well with you. I truly bless you. Be strong.  
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
welcome sixflags and I'm late on that welcome as well. 
Look forward to reading your posts.
My thinking about "taking care of me first". If I dont' take care of me, then I can't take care of anyone else - cause I ain't gonna be around to do it". 
I don't just mean in terms of the depression either; healthwise over all.  Taking care of you is not being selfish, it's being selfless.
Again, welcome and looking forward to your posts!!!!!!
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Sixflags,
Sorry for the late welcome! But welcome to the Forums!
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you for the replies and kind words.  it is nice and frustrating to know that people are going through the same things that you are.  frustrating, because we know it's not who we are.  this is not the way i am...  yah my dr. appt is on friday, i have a bead on a good counselor/therapist, and am waiting to call them tomorrow.  keeping focused on myself seems selfish to me, i keep worrying and going back to how're my kids gonna react if we seperate or get a divorce.  what is my wife thinking right now.  sigh... it's a battle.  thank you again and i will on a daily basis if i can, write something here and let you know how the day is. 
14 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  ---- aggravated face!
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome Paoa.  I hope you find the program as good as I do.  And not just the (uh hum, Pete) forums.  Working the program, reading it, taking your time and doing the exercises thoroughly have helped me.  Posting as Pete indicated is totally awesome.  I'ts awesome to hear what others are going through and to be able to provide support and understanding and getting that in return as well.  It's also educational and at times can be fun!  I come here daily, work on my sessions daily (uh, hum Pete) and obviously aggravate Pete a little bit.  So welcome aboard.

14 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Paoa, and welcome.

Your story and situation seems to parallel my own to a fair extent. I found opening up to, and sharing with my family to be difficult at first but ultimately helpful and the right thing to do.

This site is a really good resource. I'm terrible about applying myself to things, so I can't comment on the program as I've never been able to get to grips with it, but the support forums are great. Plenty of wise, supportive people, a really safe feeling, and more humour than you may expect.

So I'll see you around I'm sure.
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Paoa,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story.  You are right, you have to work on yourself first before you can work on others.  You, being active in your progress and by enrolling in your doctors and therapists help, you will step by step understand what is going on.  Do take a copy of the depression test to both appointments to help you pinpoint areas to work on and triggers.  This can be helpful to you both!

The program is here for you to work on at your own pace.  So take it slow and gain information and assistance to help support you.

Do post with us often as the members do know what you are going through and can help.  Do communicate with your family and let them know what you are going through and what you need from them.  Love and understanding go a long way.

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello my name is Paoa, and I've been fighting and battling with depression for the past 3 years.  I'm married have been for 12, been in my career for 6 yrs, have 3 children whom I love and adore.  I am a person who took my dads work ethic, which was just insane when I was a kid, but he always found the time for me and my siblings.  I took from my mom a strong hand of discipline, with the thoughts of they will understand when we're older.  I am a very loving person, I love my family am considered a momma's boy and just someone when you need something I am there.  I love coaching youth sports, have coached my sons in basketball, baseball, and our favorite football.  I have always been someone that people always want to like, and be around.  I am quick to make friends and keep them.  This all changed alittle over 3 yrs. ago.

It all started with my lack of wanting to get up and go to work.  I just couldn't.  I knew I needed to provide for my family but I just couldn't.  I'd stay up til 4-5 am in the morning, and fall asleep til 1-2.  I wouldn't sleep in my bed, I'd sleep on our couch in the 'entertainment' room.  I started lacking more and more patience with my kids.  Flying off the handle at just random things and 'stupid' things.  Tried hiding what was going but that didn't work, because the people friends and family could sense it and see it.  They'd ask 'what's wrong, you don't seem like youself' and i'd reply, o nothing.  Because I didn't know... I didn't know WHAT was going on.  I didn't enjoy the things of which I LOVED... my family, coaching, my friends... I just wanted to stay in bed, and stay in my hole.  I'm NOT LIKE THAT, THAT'S NOT WHO I AM!!!  Than around Sept '06 I talked to a friend of mine, whom told me a similar story, and everything was EXACTLY I was going through.  Come to find out it was him.  I was shocked, but overjoyed.  I had someone who had gone through the same thing, as well as I could put a face to how I felt.  Made a Dr. appt., and found out I've got severe depression.  Tried some different medications... found what I thought worked... and well.  It's not.

It's been about a year since I saw my physician last, haven't tried therapy.  Well, I've got a appt. with my Dr., and am looking for a therapist.  While doing so I stumbled on this website.  I've always been one who feels they need to be in control, I think that's why my depression is so debilitating to me.  Is because no matter how I try, I'm never in control.  I hope that with this therapy, something I can do on my own, review new ideas and so forth, as well as some counselling I can manage this disease.  It is ruining my marriage with my high school sweetheart.  And as much as I want to save that... I need to save myself first.  I need to get back to whom I AM! not who I've become.  And hopefully through this and all the stuff I need to do, my wife will fall IN love with me again, and I with myself.  Thank you and hope to hear from you all.

Reading this thread: