Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Ending an affair

13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Walrus:

I just came across your post.  I hope you are coping ok with it, letting go of someone special is the hardest thing we ever do.  I just wanted to say that I really admire your decision and how you handled it.  One thing is clear you are a caring person capable of real attachment, that is what so many people are looking for and value.  
13 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi walrus,

I know that getting this off your chest might not have been the easiest thing you've ever done. But I think you did the right thing in agreeing to end the affair. Even though there wasn't anything physical going on...I think it was the best move for both of you. I understand that it must be hard to cope with the loss of someone you connected with on a different level, try your best to take what you have learned and use it in future situations. 

How have you been doing with dealing with the hurt you were feeling? What will you focus your energy on now that you will have more free time?

Strength  

13 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Walrus, I wish I had some comforting words for you. Please be good to yourself and give yourself time to grieve . Post as often as you need! we are here for you.
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry to hear this Walrus.  It must be so hard to create a bond with someone and then have to say goodbye before really giving the relationship a chance.  But I agree it would have been very difficult to make it work given the circumstances.  Try to appreciate the time you did have and look to what you have learned from this experience.  Perhaps now you are more aware of what you want out of a future relationship. Perhaps you learned something about yourself?  Whatever it is know that you have much to look forward to in the future and that this was just a step in your journey.  We are here to listen and help you get through this.

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi

for the past couple of months i had been spending a lot of time with a married woman (her husband is away overseas). Although there's nothing physical going on, the time we spent together felt really special. I know it was a bad idea from the start but somehow we just got lost in an emotional spiral. She is just the kind of person I would like to spend the rest of my life with.

Today, we had a long chat and we kinda agree that we should end this because .. well, it's just wrong. And now I feel really terrible.I have a history of depression and this situation is really bad for me.

I know i should not use the word "If only" .. but that's all I can think of right now .. if only she is single.. if only she met me first..if only she is not married...

Although I know this relationship is doomed from the start and I expected it to end sooner or later..now that it is really happening.. it still hurts so much..

ok.. I just need to get that out of my chest..

Reading this thread: