Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,546 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Resolving past hurts

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey dragonfly!

Well, as you probably figured out by another thread I have that I have family issues of my own. I find the letter thing to sound great! 

As for the reception I agree that maybe talking to her another time or writing to her might be appropriate as to not make a fuss at your niece's wedding. 

Then again I am the keep quiet and suck it up till I am blue in the face and about to have a nervous breakdown type, so what do I know?

All I really wanted to say is that I hear you and I empathize with you totally! I hope you manage to work through all of this! Hang in there and let us know how it goes!
14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
dragonfly,

Never apologize for the length of a post. We are all here to read and learn about how and what you are feeling, regardless of the length of the post
It is great to hear that you are feeling like writing the letters is helpful. Perhaps you can discuss what to your therapist about what to do with these letters when she gets back. Sharing them with your sisters might be a great idea, as they will probably share their perspective and thoughts on the issues at hand.
In terms of your dad's widow, it is not childish to be upset that she and your father did not come to your daughters wedding. That is a pretty hurtful thing to do, so speaking to her sounds like it might be a good idea. However, speaking at the reception may not be the most appropriate place. Would writing her a letter and giving it to her at the reception or mailing it to her be a better option? What do you think? 
Members, what do you think? Have you ever been in a similar situation? Any advice or suggestions?

Hang in there dragonfly, and remember that we're always here for you.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

My therapist is away for 3 weeks and then I'm away for 3 weeks and I won't see her until the middle of July, so I'm going to post here to contine the work we began during our last 2 sessions.  (I'm also attending a bi-weekly support group in the same clinic for more general support, but that's not the place to discuss specific issues.)

We were starting to work on the anger I have towards my father, anger that I didn't realize I had until recently.  Briefly, when I was 19 my parents divorced, and my father remarried when I was 21 (6 months after I got married).  At the time I believe I was trying to be "grown up" about the whole thing, and kept up a relationship with my dad and his new wife.  After we moved to a different province and city, that relationship started to become, well, strained.  I began to realize that I was the one who was initiating contact, it was very rare for them to call me.  Eventually there was a period of about 9 years when there was very little contact.  It took me being admitted to hospital during a severe depressive episode for my dad to begin calling again.  That was just a year before he passed away.  That wasn't enough time to rebuild a strong, trusting relationship where I could have talked to him. 

So now I'm trying to resolve this anger without being able to talk to him.  My therapist suggested I begin by writing letters to him from the perspective of the 19 year old, then from an older self.  I've been doing that and I seem to find more and more things I'm angry about - things he did and didn't do.  It is helping getting these feelings onto paper, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the letters when they're done except I will probably share them with my sisters because they know I'm having this anger issue.

I'll be seeing my dad's widow at my niece's wedding reception while I'm away and I'm concerned about what I might say to her.  I'm having a hard time with the fact that she and my dad didn't come to my daughter's wedding, yet here she is travelling across the country for my niece's.  That sounds really childish now that I've written it but it's what I'm feeling!  Do I tell her about my hurt and anger or just suck it up and be nice?

Sorry for the long post but this is really preying on my mind right now.  

Reading this thread: