Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

aumenting lamictal

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the update Goofy. It is great that you are feeling better and do try to keep making time to spend with your friends. We love hearing from you and please continue to update us as often as possible. Go through your list one item at a time and do what you can.

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
An update:
As I posted last week, I went to the dr. on an emergency basis.  I realized I was in a downward spiral and I started thinking about checking myself in somewhere to get straightened out on Wed., but realize that around here all they were gonna do is give me a bunch of meds that me and my psychiatrist would have to sort through to get back on track anyway.  So on Thursday morning before my therapy appt, I called my pdoc and made an appt with him for the next day.  He and I had discussed on my last visit not a month earlier that I might need to augment the lamictal.  I went to see him and we did just that, with an anti-depressant.  At the therapy appointment we discussed my downward spiral and also anger (which I dare to acknowledge).  Also at the Dr. appt. it came to surface that in June, I'd had a low B12 level and he referred me for some blood work and ask me to get a physical from my general practioner.
I had a fun-filled weekend scheduled to go to a state part with about 12 friends and a round of golf planned.  I left the Dr. appt and wanted to crawl in the bed.  I had not slept much the night before contemplating what I would say to the doctor and how I would approach things without coming across like "I knew more than he did" but at the same time getting answers to some questions, and it could appear as if I were questioning his judgement - and that was not my intent. So I was sleep-deprived and sleep is an important aspect of my stability and a top priority for me and with the downward spiral I was struggling to prevent I just wanted to do the ostrich syndrome thing and go to bed and stick my head in the sand.
It took alot of energy, positive self-talk, and I don't know where it came from, but I got in the car and drove down there.  We all know how much energy it takes to wear the mask and I gave it my best shot and think I succeeded.  It did curtail some of the activities in which I'd planned to participate.  But not the golf.  It was the most therapeutic thing I did.  I really felt relaxed, comfortable and almost depression free.  I wasn't expending any energy to "not be depressed" and had a great time.  Not having played in 8 years, I didn't play well, but it didn't really matter.  I missed golf.  So as the "high" from my golf game receded, I still had my funky funk to deal with, but realized this was better than sleeping all weekend and was glad I'd forced myself to go. 
When I left, it's like everything I'd mustered to keep inside came spewing forth and I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. BUT this time, I realized, I wasn't crying for nothing.  I started jotting down one word things as they popped into my head, I had a a page full as I cryed for almost 2 and 1/2 hours.  I came home and started typing about these things and trying to put emotions with the thoughts.  I succeeded with most and typed three pages on what I'd been crying about.  Another cathartic moment as I realized all these times I thought I'd been crying over nothing and I had  a page full and I had probably just got the things on the surface and not those underlying things.  I was also able to identify some negative core beliefs with thse thoughts and emotions - not all of them, but some of them.
I had started my new medication (wellbutrin) and was starting to feel better - I won't give all the credit to the medication - see above.  However, I am now starting to up the dosage, and I am feeling much better.  However, my lack of motivation is still not where it should be - a list of things to do and not an ounce of get up and do it.  I don't want to stick my head in the sand, but I don't want to do what I need to do.  I want this part to come back too.  My thoughts are cleare
Lost, thank you for those kind words.  We are glad you are with us.  I've been meaning to tell you what a smile that picture brings to my face everytime I read one of your posts.  I'm thinking even though the kid can't see, he still thinks he can snap the pic and save the camera - what do you think?  I'ts motivational!

Hey, we've all woe-is-me'd and will do so in the future - I could show them all to you that I've posted but it's okay to woe-is-me here,that's what we are here for.  Post about anything you need to, get things off your mind, throw an issue on the table, a problem about the sessions.....we will be there - even though we have our journey's like you are here for us - with your journey's. 
Look forward to hearing from you!
14 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I really am getting so much support and learning alot from ready all these posts.
You all seem so focused and having a real desire to get better.  And It's fantastic how all the posts are not centered on yourself, especially in the "woe-is-me" genre.

I'm still trying to get there.  I suppose thats why I visit to read everyday.  At this time, I don't have so many words of encouragement for anyone.

I just wanted to say that I appriciate all of your honesty and willingness to share.
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hiya Goofy,
I think it is amazing how well prepared you were for your appt! Good on you! I hope you get all these issues settled soon!
Hi all; an update on my lamictal and what not.  I did see my therapist on Thursday a.m. and I did call on Thursday and made an "as quick as I can" visit appt. for Friday.  I went in (as my therapist had helped me with questions) symptoms and things I was/am doing to help the depression. 
I would like to say before you read this questions I was very diplomatic and tactful and explained I was not questioning him as a professional but I am curious about these things.
The first question I ask him is the diagnosis bipolar or major depression - I want to know because he wanted to augment the lamictal with another mood stabilizer.
Second question:  There is much data to support the correlation between women over 40 with increased incidence of depression, and hormones have a positive correlation in effecting depression, so I asked him why weren't they (he and gyn) working or at least consulting each other as obviously being on HRT and dx with PCOS could impact the depression.  He ask me to sign a release to get medical records and to discuss things with her. 
I asked him if there were tests that I had posted about in another post to scan the brain using nuclear medicine why weren't they used and could the more specifically identify the areas the brain was not firing/functioning and increase the probability of getting the right meds.  He said Insurance won't pay and told me what my scan would probably show with my diagnosis of Major depression.
I asked him to please give me something to augment the lamictal, wellbutrin was an idea I had, but he was the professional.  THat I had taken it in the past but was with a different medication which, not knowing at the time was having a horrendous set of side effects).  He agreed to let me try that one - wellbutrin.  And to back off the lamictal to 400 mg as I had become quite zombie like.  I assured him I didn't care what I got, I just felt I needed something and the increase lamictal wasn't doing it for me.
I then ask him if I was doing this CBT program, therapy, meditation, exercise, working part-time, not isolating as much, etc. etc. And these things helped me get more "out of the depression" why weren't they working to keep me out.  After abit of discussion the bottom line is quit worrying about cause and effect and start worrrying about getting out of this downward spiral and DO NOT quit doing anything I'm doing.  It is helping even though the effects might not be so obvious.
He asked me if I had had a physical in the past year and initially I said no, but then I remember my annual gynecological exam and she had done blood work, stating my B12 was low and asking me to start taking RX B12 and I asked if otc would work as well and she said no lower than mine was, it would work.  He indicated if my B12 was low that that is significant and ordered a bunch of blood work and me to go to gp to get annual physical (non gyn) there.  I have an appt for Wed.  A therapy appt. thurs and see him next week.  I am working on getting the wellbutrin at the right level, by then it will be.
I guess I left with some hope but still the crying, the depressed, the push, the energy zapped, emotionally drained just going there.  I had an outing with a bunch of friends at a cabin and the guy I'm seeing was planning on being there.  What an internal FIGHT to make myself go.  I made myself go (pat on the back here).  I had a good time.  I played golf for the first time in I think 8 years and I felt like a new woman on the golf course.  It made me think, I might be babysitting and I got to the point in my depression, I thought I could handle seeing someone after 4 years, but I wasn't really doing anything I enjoyed for me, that I did pre-depression.  The
14 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy:

Thank You for replying, and I hope your therapy app't
goes just as well as you hoped. Please let us know
how that went

Incidentally, when I wrote that post, I was not my
exact self until Friday.  I usually am not angry, but
what happened at LC really upset me.  I am okay
now, I hope.  I wasn't myself for 4 days, and this
has NEVER happened before. I hope it is just
a med adjustment needed, & I have to see pdoc
on Thurs to find out. This is very scarey for me.
Take Care 
Windsy, I have no advice, I'm sorry.  I don't have the racing thoughts and hypomania as you've described.  I also dont' have anger issues.  In fact, I can only think of twice in my life I've been angry at all.  Was talking with my therapist about this this a.m.
I did call shrink this a.m. and told him the 500 mg of lamictal is not being effective - two weeks and continuing the downward spiral.  I also think it has something to do with hormones but can't seem to find a psychogynecologist.  I'm going to ask him to please contact my gynecologist and refer me to some place that does wholistic treatment, not fragmented parts.  I also have found they do scans, using radioactive isotopes to determine which parts of brain are not firing properly.  I am hoping I can get that referral as well.  It is said to improve the probability of getting the right medications. 
I see the shrink in the a.m. 
The therapist said there are several things I should pat my back on even though I've not been bathing properly, I have at least ran the bath water and considered it (I didn't do this in the past).  I'm still doing exercise, tai chi and coming here, didn't do that in the past.  Said I've told my friends that call with their issues that i can't handle their issues right now, I'm trying to deal with mine.  They understood.  So I am trying to take care of me.  Trying very hard - I won't give up the fight.
Okay, nap time, though many things to do - still can't make myself stay awake.  Not really motivated to either.  Escape here I come, but looking forward to seeing psychiatrist tomorrow.  Therapy helped today and I am going back next week.
I guess I'll only post this today unless I get in a better frame of "mind".  lol  this sucks!
14 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy:

I found this to be an interesting post, Thanks.  I have been on lamictal- 200mg a day
since Nov/08.  My shrink has not found the right dose,and he changes
the wellbrutrinxl (300mg) day.  I am wondering could I be having all these
problems with my bipolar, b/c I am on the wrong meds?  My shrink keeps
on saying it is not the meds.  It is the situation, and I am disconnected.
I get more tense more, angrier, and that is why I have no therapist, and
why I have no rights. People do not like it if I get angry....I can't see pdoc
until next Thursday, and I am trying to think of safety and strength and our
session 3 weeks ago.  My mind is a whirlwind, and I am on the hamster
wheel and I can't get off. Anyone else feel like this, and what do they do
cope?  I can't seem to do the distracting activities such as do cleaning
or watch tv.  My attention span is 0.  Thanks  Windsy
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

Thanks for posting this and do feel free to vent anytime, we are here to listen and support if needed.  I have faith in you as you have overcome smoking and weight gain, as you have mentioned!  These are huge feats in themselves! Big kudos to you!

You are also an intelligent individual who is taking an active part in their progress.  Doing research and continuously discussing with your doctor is a good way to stay on track of this.  I know this post was to vent only, but you are pushing forward and I wanted to let you know I am proud of you and your achievement, past, present and those to come

Josie, Health Educator

Reading this thread:

© Copyright 2024 Evolution Health. All Rights Reserved.