Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Seroxat

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WhatKatyDid,

I am not sure which medications do have the side effect of weight gain and which ones do not.  However, I also gained 50 lbs on one medication.  I have had to work very hard to lose this weight.  I am almost there.  I ask about this side effect of the medications I take.
Take a person with depression who has low self-esteem, self-defeating behavior, low self-worth and give them a medication that causes them to gain weight and you are going to have a unhealthier, overweight person with depression who has low self-esteem, self-defeating behaviors and self-worth.
That being said - there aren't many medications out there (I've found as a result of my research) that don't have that side effect.  I also heard (don't know) that hormones can cause weight gain.  I take Hormone replacement therapy and it is an issue. I plan to discuss this issue with my doctor when I return.

Good luck on taking off the lbs sensibly.  Eat healthy and exercise!!!

14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You may have to talk to your doctor about that question.  From what I have heard most do but I am not a doctor.

It might be a good option for your to join or sister site the Healthy Weight Centre.  It will help you with your weight lose goals. www.healthyweightcentre.net.

For members who do not know could you explain what an implanon is? Are you using it as a birth control or a sort of hormone therapy?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
UPDATE

In the last 13 months since taking Seroxat, I have gained 17kilos.  I'm only short so this is noticeable.  A family friend congratulated me on my 'pregnancy' the other week! 

I spoke with my GP (who is wonderful BTW) and she explained this: Seroxat does does not directly cuase you to gain weight, it increases your appetite.

I advised that I found it next to impossible that I had eaten my way to a 17kilo weight gain. 

She agreed that I had gained weight very quickly and we also discussed that I have an Implanon in my arm at the moment.

Conclusion: I need to diet.  Review in 4 weeks to discuss whether change of medication may be an idea.

My questions are this: Do all SSRIs carry this "side-effect"? 
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Katy,

Well I haven't ever taken Seroxat. But I can tell you I have weened off of a lot of meds. Sometimes it is easier, sometimes it is harder. But in the end it is doable. I got off so many differents meds... And if I can do it anyone can! I guess the question for you is what side effects are you ok living with and which ones aren'T you.
15 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seroxat has been so good at controlling my loop the loop moods and I am possibly hesitant that they want me to try something else.  I hate the transition.

Hear are some of the horrible things I have heard which are preventing me going to my GP:

1. for every mg of Seroxat = 1lb of weight gain.  So in my case 20mg = 20lb weight gain
2. Weaning off Seroxat is almost intolerable.
3. Hearing that people wish they'd never been on it because the weaning is bad.

What have you experienced?

15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have idea what you are taking ... i am on effexor, and a missed pill means that a few hours later i am sick (nausea, migraine, etc).

but I do know that each of us has a different set of symptomes that we are willing to tolerate!
If you are not willing to tolerate the weight gain tell your doctor! ... The extra weight puts us all at risk for many diseases.  So you do have a valueable reason to say this is an unacceptable secondary effect.

What kinds of stories have you heard??? maybe someone can put it to urban myth or explain why it turned out that way... Like for me with the effexor... it takes a S-L-O-W !!! weaning period of several weeks or it turns into a "bad-trip" .
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent question WhatKatyDid.
Have you consulted your family doctor or pharmacist?
Members, have any of you had any similar experiences? Please let us know

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder if anyone can help.  I've been on Seroxat for some months now and I'm beginning to notice an intolerable rate of weight gain.  I've been trying to eat healthily as the weight gain makes me feel so miserable, however its proving so difficult as I have such strong urges to eat certain foods - it's crazy

Mood wise = EXCELLENT.

But I can feel my confidence and esteem being affected hugely now.  I've read some pretty bad horro stories about coming off Seroxat, I just wondered if anyone has had the same experience if they could share it with me.  Or if you have links to good advice?

Thanks so so much,

-Katy
x

Reading this thread: