Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Problems with avoidance II

12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't think this is stupid at all... well, that's not true... I thought it quite stupid and frustrating and shameful when I did the same   I just don't think that of your efforts... nor would I of anyone trying to move out of their comfort zone.  Double standard there.  I'm good at that.

Anyway... my dumb story.  I wanted to sell some of my artwork at the local Farmer's Market, but had to have a tax ID number before doing so.  I went down to the government business office and registered my "business" with a name and mission statement and everything.  I really believed I could do it... for about the amount of time it took to register.  I made one effort to sell and was so overwhelmed with shame and humiliation that I stopped creating anything for a good long while.  I still have to file my business tax statement quarterly.  Talk about stupid.  Instead of an out-of-business notice, I need to post a never-had-and-never-will-have-business notice.  This has been going on for several years... ok... six 
12 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m

Thanks for your encouraging words. I have taken them on board, but I can't help feeling that it's so very long that I have been as I am that there is no way for me to remain myself and make the radical changes that are needed.

I'm really a universe away from wanting people over to my house - I just cannot imagine or contemplate the possibility. Maybe that's an eventual goal to aim for, but it's well down the line.....

Perhaps the writing could be a 'ladder' out. My personal writing is cathartic, is a release, and my fiction writing has led me to make some social contact - I was attending a small workshop/class, a huge step for me, but have now stopped. I did go into that in another thread, so won't reiterate at length, but basically the tutor was praising my writing and telling me I should try and get published. I felt very pressurised by that, as if suddenly my writing had standards to live up to, and it stopped being relaxing or fun. Stupid, huh?  Also, it's a small group but has a fluid membership, so quite often I would turn up and there would be one or two new people there that I didn't know. I didn't like that, and found it hard to cope with.

Oh, how ingenious I can be in finding the cloud around every silver lining......
just want to make one correction to my earlier post...
I don't like to have people in my house... but also force myself to do so on occasion and ... SURPRISE... whenever I do... I really, really enjoy it.  Afterwards, dh and I look at each other and say... "That was fun... we should do it more often!"  I dread having company.... but in recent times have not ever regretted the experience afterwards.  For one thing... the house gets cleaned and there are great left overs to eat for days after.  what's my point?  I'm not sure... just that it has been a big change I've allowed myself.... it is not stress free or even easy.... but it is so worth the effort.  Truly.  
Hi Pete.  Your honesty (and sense of humor) here is very striking.  I'm sorry it has taken me a while to respond to what you wrote.  Your opening statement brings a chuckle.  I've always thought that being human would be truly great if it weren't for the darn people!

The pain you reveal after your joke is so stark, so well written, so honest.  It is very uncomfortable reading for me because your description could very easily have been written about me not that long ago.   Reading it makes me appreciate how far I've come, but it also reminds me that I'm just barely a few steps away from it and must continue to stay aware and challenge my cravings for complete safety and solitude.  

I'm not so scared of ordinary things anymore... I can handle crowded places... even going to the shopping mall... I can ask for help and use the telephone without anxiety... without really thinking about it...as long as I don't over do it and get too tired or "out of balance".  I still need safety and still need solitude.  It's part of who I am and should be honored... just not to the exclusion of all social interaction because, as you pointed out... we do miss out on some things that could enhance our lives.

I still can't have people over and my fumblings with communication is a bigger barrier than I thought.  I want to change that but at the same time totally resent the need to do so.  

Enough I, I, I ... just wanted to tell you that your description of the pain of social anxiety really hit home.  I hope we all can find our way out of this painful abyss.  being tired makes it difficult to believe it can happen... but I know it can.  Maybe music and writing will be your ladder out.  My artwork has been a part of mine... but that's another topic for another time.

12 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The bulk of my anxiety is of the social variety, which is a shame as people are all over the place!

Your problem 4 below certainly applies to me, every word of it. I am highly self-critical, and berate myself as a spineless weakling and coward because I can't seem to enjoy what most other people do.

What do I miss due to my social anxiety? I believe that, anxiety or not, I'm by nature a fairly solitary soul, so I don't miss going out with friends. I have no latent desire to be the 'life and soul'. But it has got in the way of many things - certainly my career has suffered because I can't 'network', can't contribute to meetings, workshops etc. Personally? Well, I'm scared of ordinary things like asking in shops, telephoning..... I hate crowded restaurants and pubs, and can't understand how anyone can get pleasure from such places. As well as hating myself over this, I end up hating and resenting other people too, when I see them enjoy themselves socially. They seem to possess such a gift, but take it for granted.

I love music and, despite being well into middle age, still enjoy seeing bands. But I always go alone - my partner has different taste in music and I know nobody else - and I am embarrassed to get up and dance or jump about or enjoy the music physically in any way, even if everyone around me is doing so and wouldn't care what I did. Again, the people enjoying themselves without inhibition really annoy me, and on several occasions I have walked out of concerts by favourite bands before they have started because I just can't stand the people around me.

I play guitar, too. When I was a student, I was in a band, which I remember as some of the best fun I have ever had. It would be great to play in a band again, but I know nobody else who plays (I literally, and I say this without self-pity but as a fact - have no friends at all). I have no way of getting together with other old blokes of questionable expertise but great enthusiasm to play music. The thought of using the small ads fills me with fear.

I find myself taking a perverse pride in my non-sociability. A couple of years ago, I went away to a residential conference for work. It lasted three days and during that time I didn't talk to a single person, didn't go to any of the meals (ate sandwiches in my room) and at the end of it I felt such pride! Did it! I repeated the feat last year at another event.

We never have people over to our house to eat or to entertain - my partner knows how much I hate it (she's an outgoing, sociable type) so never invites anybody.

So, to sum up, my social anxiety has crippled my career, caused me to despise myself, deprived me of a social life and of much pleasure, turned me into a liar and shirker, and been a big cause of my depression.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

When we avoid things due to anxiety, we miss out. As you probably already know, escaping the situation you find yourself in when you have a panic attacks can lead to problems.

• Problem 3: The more you avoid, the less you’re able to lead a full, happy and productive life. As a result of escaping and avoiding, you don’t get to do a lot of things other people get to enjoy such as, going out with friends, driving, going to a movie or going away of vacation.
  • Problem 4: When people aren’t able to enjoy life because of avoidance, they beat themselves up. People with panic or anxiety usually say escaping makes them feel better in the short-term but worse in the long-term. The end result is negative thoughts about themselves, the world and the future. This can lead to depression.

How has anxiety impacted your life?

Reading this thread: