Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

The food and mood connection

13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
YES !!! Go Chocolate :) 
I knew it.  I just knew it had to be true. Thank you for the confirmation
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Members,

I wanted to share an article I recently read called. “The food and mood connection.” The article discussed how the food we consume affects our mood. The authors state that food rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, low glycemic foods, and chocolate have all been associated with improved moods. In addition, the authors note “Combining food such as carbohydrates and protein increases the level of serotonin in your brain.” (Nelson and Zeratsky, 2009). Serotonin is a neurotransmitter in your brain, which are chemicals released in your brain and it is associated with calm moods.

The article is talking about a connection between the body and mind. Though the two were once regarded as independent from each other in the medical community, many people believe that two are interdependent. If we consume foods that our good for us, we experience positive physical effects. If we feel physically well, we are better able to deal with challenges. A healthy body, lead to a healthy mind and vise versa.

Members, what are your thoughts on the body-mind connection?

Helena, Health Educator

Reading this thread: