Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Depressed for 30 years

9 years ago +2 65 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
I have been taking anti-depression meds for more than 20 years. It has made a big difference. One can learn to manage depression. Sure there are ups and downs. Sometimes I have to remember to take better care of myself. The good news is that I have always been able to recover from the downs. Yes I have recently joined this group because I have entered a down period. I am telling myself that I have always been able to get the depression under control in the past, so I can do it again. I had a visit with Doctor today, she is compassionate, she listens and takes a professional approach. I am a very determined woman and have always been able to get myself out of problems in spite of the underlying depression. There is just so many interesting things that live can offer.
9 years ago +2 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
Hi Agua,

I am sorry you feel a bit cheated now. You can start to feel better. The key is to not give up on trying. CBT is usually one of the first lines of treatments for depression. That being said, there are many talk therapies that can be used to help depression as well. I am not sure what you talked about in your therapy sessions but if they were psychologists they likely worked with a few different theories. Perhaps these theories just were not a correct fit for you. I am so glad that you were able to discover CBT for yourself now though. I look forward to reading about how you do. Keep us updated.
Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago +1 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
Hello, I read chapter 1 and I´m depressed since my 12 years, I´m 39 now. Do you think it´s possible to cure it?
I did a lot of years terapy with psychologits, but never did CBT teraphy. These professionals never gived me the tools and tecniques for me to take care of myself alone, like CBT does. I´m feeling deceived for all this years and the money I spent. The sessions were only talk conversation, I feeled better because I knew I have someone that give me attention and someone to talk too. But as soon as I leave it I become depressed again, feeling alone and sad. They worked like close friends for me to talk, only that.

Reading this thread: