Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

how to deal and get friends and family to understand

18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
once again everyone thank you. I only hope i can get this therapy underway. Where i live it takes along time to get appointments with anyone. by the time my appointment comes around I feel better and think I can handle it. But now its got to the point where i know I'm not okay and i need to figure this out it just seems to get worse every time. And my family is getting upset with me. they want to know always how are you how are you and I just want them to leave me alone . I am sure when IO get to my appointment the therapist will help me to inform them. Just right now it is so hard because i don't have any answeres. again thank you everyonefor your input and today is a much better day hope it stays this way.
18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi!! I had that problem too. I finally just gave my family some literature that my psychologist gave me, facts & explanations, etc. There is alot of resources on th Internet!! In time they will understand better, if this is all foreign to them it's feels scary to tham as well. Daisy ;)
18 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As a person that loves one with depression I really think it is my responsibility to be informed on what to do. It has taken a lot of reading, sites, and personal guidance to understand that I really can't do anything but be there. It is a hard thing for someone that doesn't experience depression to understand that one cannot just think themselves out of this. Hang in there and let the people help that can. There are a lot of good people that really are trained to put you on the road to success. It is a natural thing to be scared but there is hope and a brighter day. I know there will be for you. This is a good site to use. There are good people here and if you have a question about what you are going through someone will help you. :)
thank you everyone who replied. I have made a appointment to get back into treatment and I will consider antdepressents but i am still scared. and on the family leaving me alone . this is something i really need i think they believe i put myself here. When in reality if i could pull out as easy as i fall in there would be no problem i just don;t know how to tell them. maybe the counselors will be able to advice me on the friends and family part. again thatnks for your responds. and hope you all have a better day then I've been having
18 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jamie, You have come to the right place! Please feel free to roam the site at your own pace. If you look to the left of the screen under "TOOLS" you will find our Depression Test. This test is not a diagnostic tool and is not a replacement or substitute for a physician's advice. The purpose of these tests is to prepare you with information that you can present to your physician. When you're finished the test, you can either print your Final Report or email it directly to your doctor. If you have any question or concerns with our site or please contact Support Department at support@depressioncenter.net. We are open to any questions or concerns you may have. Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Josie ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
18 years ago 0 99 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If you need medication then you must take it. When I first started taking my meds, I felt awful about it. It took a long time for me to realize that it really wasn't any different than taking medication for my asthma or my diabetes. It's just something I have to do. Are you in therapy? I am a firm believer that it takes both to get through this illness. As far as your family goes, my mother tried so hard to understand but just couldn't grasp that I wasn't always in control of how I felt. I invited her to one of my therapy sessions. Hearing it from my doctor really helped her understand that I couldn't just "shake it off" and that it didn't have anything to do with "dwelling in the past" or anything like that. Now when she calls me and I am in a funk, she understands and doesn't take it personally. Just a thought.
18 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am on the other side. I am the family member that is trying to deal with this in our family. It is very difficult because the reality is anything we do or say is not the right thing. We are trying to help, but it won't do any good until the depression is addressed. It must be difficult to decide to take meds, but your alternative might not be very bright. The doctor has a responsibility to find the right medicine for you. I am being pushed away in a major way, and I tried to deal with like he was thinking like me. I was very wrong. I went to a counselor, and they finally got it in my head that there was nothing I could do. That is a hard thing to come to terms with when you really love someone. I hope that you know that I care that you start feeling better and will always be here to listen.
i am really nervous about writing this,but i have set out to find answers and get help, and i guess this is one of the first steps. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago and the first thing my doctor did was give me prozac. i hav never been on antidepressents and didn't know what to expext. Well i went from very sad to very angry, went back to the doctor and he tells me he must adjust dosage. i tell him I am not comfortable with these meds and theymake me nervous. i need to know if i can be helped without the meds. and i also need to now how to tell my family to leave me alone when i need to be alone I just don't want them to hurt. i do plenty for everyone. Nor do I want there sympathy . I would just like them to understand, but how can I make them understand when I still don't. like i said i'm new and hope what i'm doing is right Thank you

Reading this thread: