Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Role Transition

10 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you SO MUCH Vincenza!!! I REALLY appreciate your encouragement and support. THANK YOU!!! It is hard, but hey, "hard" has become "norm" so "hard" should really be "easy"!!! :)
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kama, 

Welcome again to the PC center.  I'm glad to hear you've started the program - you have printed the record sheets which is a great first step.  Try not to anticipate the emotions you may feel as you complete them, but use the time to learn what your thought process and reactions are like.  Then examine it from a different perspective - how could you have reacted differently?  What is a positive way at looking at the situation?  You already see the value in doing so - now it's about taking action.  Know that you CAN do this.  Many members here have and although it's not an easy process, it is a powerful one.  It will become easier the more you write and practice recording your thoughts & feelings.  
We're here for you! 
Vincenza, Health Educator

Yes, Ashley, I have started the program, thank you! Have made copies of anxiety and Panic Attack record sheets. Although, I keep procrastinating on filling them in. I just want to forget about them and not revisit them by writing it down. I just become more depressed. I need to get over this, as I can see the value in recognising thoughts and behaviours associated with anxiety and P.A.'s.

10 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kama,

You can access the program under "My Program" in the top menu when you are logged in. This session is called Role Transitions.

Being Helpless is not a role but it sounds like it is how you frame your current role. You can change your perspective cognitively or behaviourally. But first you must be well enough to get there. You cannot be of help to anyone until you take care of yourself first. Have you had a chance to get started on the program? This program can help you get a handle on the anxiety. How can you ensure you make your health your top priority right now?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,
I'm only new here, and not sure how things work. You say "you may find the rest of this session very helpful." How do we access the rest of this session?
My role use to be a manager of a team of sales people and a sales/personal developer trainer, plus some public & motivational speaking. Even though it has been years since I have worked, I struggle to accept this role of being helpless. I do not contribute to society and often feel there should be a dumping ground for me, where my blood and bones would add more value to Earth than I do. I try. I have done been a mentor in programs and I'm often a central point of contact for friends in crisis or experiencing hardship. But, it's not enough. I struggle to keep commitments as I never know if I will have the energy or be well enough to attend.

10 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Major life changes often result in role transitions. By definition, when we’re in a role transition we move from an old role to a new role. Because the new role is, well, new, it can be hard to adjust to - and it can be difficult for other people in our lives to make the adjustment to our change. Other people in our lives may have difficulty accepting, or getting used to, our new roles.
This is why role transitions can lead to depression as people struggle to define themselves in their new role.

Role Transitions and Relationships
Role transitions can lead to significant problems in relationships because new roles require a change in expectations. For example, when people have children, each person’s role in the relationship changes from “married” or “partner” to “parent.”

People often have difficulty defining themselves in that new role.. They have trouble changing their view of themselves from happy go lucky or workaholic to responsible parent. Others get into conflict in their relationship because they and their partner have different expectations of the role transition and what the new definitions of parent means. Remember: people get into disputes when they have different expectations in a relationship, and role transitions often create a situation in which people can have very different expectations about the new role. As a result, role transitions often result in relationship problems.

If one or more of your relationships has been affected by a role transition, you may find the rest of this session very helpful. If you don’t think you’re currently struggling with a role transition, you may still find the information in this session helpful for understanding other peoples’ struggles. At the very least, it will prepare you to cope with future role transitions.

How has role transition affected your relationships?

Reading this thread: