Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-16 2:52 AM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-16 1:17 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,610 Members

Please welcome our newest members: bae2024, bar2024, bar24, Dh92, DQUIRSTEN MARGARETTE

Beta Blocker use and anxiety

10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello JustAdam, 

We always recommend consulting with your physician or health care provider when it comes to specific questions regarding medication and their side effects. 

Of course your fellow members can share their experiences with you, but as moderators we must advise you to seek consult from a professional when it comes to medications. 

All the best,
Samantha, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi.

I've used metoprolol but for BP so don't remember if it helped anxiety.

David.
10 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit

I appreciate the response. I just returned from my doctors appointment. He agreed with me that a low dose beta blocker may be beneficial for both heart rate control and blood pressure. So he put me on metoprolol in addition to my other BP meds. I'm feeling optimistic. 

I took a small clonazepam dose prior to the appointment and surprisingly had minimal amounts of anxiety. I will keep you posted how this works out for me. 

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Adam

Propranolol is the Beta Blocker meant for treating anxiety and is commonly used by people who get stage fright or for people that can't have tremors in their hands. People not necessarily with hypertension, because it works better for that than the high blood pressure. Atenolol on the other hand which I take works very little for anxiety unless you have permission to juggle the dosage. Which I have. Seldom but sometimes I have to increase the daily dose according to what My monitor says. Still it is a slow process compared to Benzos which I won't take. But it does work for me because I'm retired and can sit in a chair and take the time to bring it down with an extra pill. My blood pressure is only moderately above normal though. A real bad day it might go to 180 / 100 if I neglect it. I feel the anxiety when it passes 160 / anything. I feel the best under 120 / 80. But there are complications, I have a murmur so too low is not good either.

It has helped knowing there will be times like when I'm working that My BP and pulse will be up, and to ignore it unless it doesn't come down within a few minutes of resting. 

One thing I noticed is that because I have arthritis, a Diuretic (seldom take) and Tylenol causes agitation. So I don't mix the two.

Using BP medication to get more hours out of a day is a bad idea, it catches up with you.

I hope you are using CBT techniques also to bring it down.

Davit
10 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Folks,
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with Beta Blocker medication for anxiety treatment.  Medications such as Metoprolol, Propanolol, Bisoprolol etc. 

I am currently being treated for High Blood Pressure with another class of medication and for anxiety with Citalopram.  The high blood pressure is largely due to anxiety.  I have an upcoming physical and was going to discuss switching my blood pressure meds to a beta blocker that way the High blood pressure and anxiety symptoms could be treated.  I understand that beta blockers only dampen the effects of the adrenaline so you do not get the racing heart and trembling hands.  I feel this may be beneficial because my mood is great most of the time just the physical symptoms are bothersome.  

Any experience you could share would be much appreciated. 
Adam

Reading this thread: