Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,620 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING, JHAYLO

Feelings of unreality

10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cara,

Feelings of unreality or depersonalization are not fully understood. From what I have read there has been no studies determining what exactly happens in the brain when it is occuring. What they do know is that it usually is a sign of severe anxiety or stress. It can also be a symptom of depression or it can be a disorder all to itself. Only a doctor can properly diagnose you. A proper diagnosis is important in determining proper treatment. Do some research on depersonlization yourself as there is lots to learn it is best to talk to a professional about his symptom.  In the mean time know that the symptom itself is not dangerous and it will pass. Remind yourself of this when you are feeling this way and try to engage with the people around you or your environment. As uncomfortable and strange as it is it cannot hurt you - you may need an adjustment in the activities you partake in though - don't drive if you feel disoriented.

Have you talked to a doctor about this symptom already? If not, do you think this is something that might be helpful for you?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I get these feelings alot when anxious, I will feel worried and then they come. I don't have other panic attack symptoms but these. Can you please tell me what causes us to feel this way so when I get them I don't panic an worry about them?

What are they? They scare me alot? I feel like unreal and my life doesn't seem normal? 

Please help with this. I think if I understand this I will get better, this just scares me and makes me panic and sad more than I should.

Reading this thread: