Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Managing Family Stress over the Holidays

11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all:  I do remember one very stressful Christmas celebration.  Before going I told myself it was going to be o.k.  Next, I told myself that it was only one day and that if something was said, to either ignore it, smile about it and even laugh and make a joke of it.  Sometimes I take myself too seriously anyway and should laugh at myself.

This usually throws them off course and breaks the cycle, they probably will try another jab as they may not give up easily, but if you don't react, knee jerk or otherwise, they just huff and puff and everyone else notices and admires you for not taking the bait.  How's that for being mature and adult?  I'm not talking about being a doormat, I'm talking about one day where you might want to put your feelings on hold for a peaceful day. 

Alcoholism isn't mentioned much on this site, however, we know that many families may have this problem with a member or two of their family especially at "party" time, holidiay, etc.  In my experience some alcoholics are merry and jolly and they seem not too hard to tolerate, annoying at times, but at least not violent or abusive as some others are.  If there is violence or abuse, then excuse yourself and go home.  Until that person can clean up his act, it's just too emotionally draining (verbal or physical abuse).  I would not allow my children to experience this, family members or not.  

Just some thoughts on the subject, I know there are many more out there....I hope more members share.

Sunny
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For all those recluses out there celebrating by themselves, it's okay to not fit the perfect picture. It is still what you make it. You can still have the turkey (or chicken or cornish hen), you can still enjoy the music and lights. Been there,done that. For many years in fact. Don't let being on the outs with family spoil your time. I haven't seen family or even exchanged cards for years and don't feel bad about it. It is my holiday to do with as I please. Including eating too much. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we diet.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We’ve all seen the movies of the picture perfect holiday dinner. If only this were reality! Unfortunately, many of us have family issues that can make holiday parties a stressful event forcing us to go back to some of our old unwanted behaviours or fill the day with horrible emotions.

To help make the holiday a happier time of year try to compose a list with your family of all of the things that have to be done to have a happy and stress free day. Include things that have to be done, what would be nice and what you can live without. Once you’ve created this list, try delegating tasks amongst family members. Some people like to cook, others clean, kids usually love wrapping presents and decorating. Spread the weight of the seasons work to all family members.

If family members don’t get along, remember that you are not responsible for everyone’s happiness. Try to encourage team work to make the day as pleasurable as possible.

Members, any tips for dealing with family stress on the special day?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: