Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Improving Time Management Skills

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Time management is a big challenge for me. Not practicing time management techniques can be very frustrating because I can not have nothing done. On the other hand sometimes I tried to find the "perfect" time management technique and always ended frustrated because I felt overwhelmed with so many techniques.
What is working for me is simplicity. I have a diary where I have a to do list for important things to be done. I try to not write unimportant tasks because they are not important and I do them when I remember.

When I have a project I break it in small steps.

As ~m wrote I tried in the past to break time in slots (5 or 10 min.) and tried to accomplish something in this period. I  felt that I was more productive but i do not know why I stopped with this. Now I will give another try to this method. Good habits require persistence.
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m

God forbid you remember all the time. That would make you perfect and then I wouldn't have you to talk to.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great tips m! It sounds like you have found some great techniques and strategies to tackle tasks.

Members, what strategies do you use to help get through your list of things to do?

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I'm just not getting anything done, feeling paralyzed and overwhelmed... I've learned to break my tasks down to smaller and smaller increments.  Kind of like setting goals.... if I'm making no progress toward a big one.... I need to break it down into smaller steps.  As for time management.... sometimes I have to break it down into 5 or 10 min. increments.  Focusing on what I CAN do in that amount of time.  For example, my desk has been piled high with so much stuff it feels overwhelming to even enter my study area.  I finally gave myself 5 min. to clean it off.... thinking I would only be able to make a small dent.... Made so much progress that I felt motivated to give it another 10 and was done.  It feels great!  I have a tendency toward all or nothing thinking.... so if I can't get a project done in one effort ... i don't even get started... so, of course, everything piles up.

Breaking tasks down to whatever time increment I am certain I CAN do.... and then alternating something I enjoy with something I dread doing.  And yes, my whole day.... work and leisure ... is easier and invigorating instead of draining.  Now if I could just remember to do this ALL time!
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One of the most difficult things is finances for me, so I've kept a journal so I can make small steps towards goals, and can remember and refer to decisions, or  things I might forget.  One of the things I've found about our conditions, is that my learning steps get interrupted somehow, and I have to retrace my steps, slowing my progress  greatly. 
With any type of journal in any area, one can maintain progress, and slowly continue to move.  I even have a spreadsheet to record when I've not done what I wished to. eg.  I have no sense of 'style", so I've been really reluctant to try to buy eyeglass frames.  For the glasses I decided to see how many days I "forgot"(avoided!) to do the smallest thing.

For gardening, took a picture of our yard, and will get help to watch it thrive, encouraging myself and re-enforcing the good behaviours
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

In the past week, we’ve been talking about stress management. A great preventative strategy for stress is to buff up on your time management skills. Here are a few tips:

-          Stop procrastinating: If it takes a certain mood to be productive, help yourself get into it. Turn on your Mp3 player, take a walk before you sit down to put your nose to the grindstone. Whatever it takes to get the project done now.

-          Plan ahead: Having a clearly written plan of attack for a project can be helpful and help you stay productive. It can also give you clear direction as to what step in the project to tackle next. Also don’t forget to allocate 1-3 hours extra of time just in case the project takes longer than expected. This will help you avoid turning it in late.

-          Keep a time log. This can be an eye opening tool! It allows you to see where you are spending your time, who interrupts you, etc…

We now invite our members to share their time management tips & tricks! Do you find it easier to get through the work day when you manage your time effectively?

Do you find craves set in when stress runs high?

Reading this thread: