Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Understanding Social Anxiety

13 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I admit that I am uncomfortable in new situations, but I think that one of my coping mechanisms is to actually start chatting to people.  It makes them less "scary" to me when I see that they aren't there to judge me.  So, in fact it becomes something that helps me. 
I find that when I'm at a store, especially in a line-up, when I end up getting into a conversation with someone, the anxiety is forgotten and I have a more successful experience.
I remember once, during a Christmas rush, the store I was in was PACKED and the line was moving so slow, but two ladies and I started chatting and joking, so instead of leaving my stuff behind and heading for the door, I got to endure the line and left with my treasures! 

As far as relationships already established, I am very very lucky that my husband not only "tolerates" my need to withdraw, but actually challenges it enough (not too pushy) to urge me forward.  This has helped me in many situations to do some serious exposure training and that, in turn, has helped me overall.

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me, I lacked spontaneity.  It had to be more planned, just in case.  I had to prepare myself for the challenge.  Not much fun for the partner wanting to just get up and go.

On the other hand, as Anerol mentions, the stress and anxiety caused by a bad relationship, has helped me see that the relationship was not good, and helped in the decision to move on.
Davit:  Hang in there, it can happen when we aren't even looking. that's what is so awesome about it.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Going through a failed relationship do to my instability, but it won't stop me from looking. I will just look for some one more understanding. Right now I an talking to an ex councillor who has a new type of job. 

Davit
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't made new relationships lately but I think this is due to my divorce rather than anxiety. My divorce may have been triggered by anxiety but I find that anxiety was my push to find a brand new path for me. So I don't take this negatively... it's rather a positive... anxiety has helped me cut my negative relationships.
13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

As we’ve seen before, depression and anxiety can result in many other issues. First, for a number or reasons, being depressed or anxious can cause people to withdraw from interacting with others. In fact, social withdrawal is a common symptom among those with anxiety or depression. Other symptoms such as low mood, irritability, anger, lack of sleep, lack of concentration can also cause you to have problems in your personal relationships.

What problems have your anxiety or depression caused you in your relationships?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: