Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,669 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

The Stress Response and Role Transition

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Samantha. 

I went to the depression site and read a cross section of the posts. I don't think I'm depressed, I'm just mad. I'm mad at how I have to live. Mad because I have to hire people to do the things I used to so easilly do. Mad because I have people intruding in my house.(home support care) Mad because there is quite a bit of pain at certain times in each day, and theres nothing I can do. I'm at max dose of pain killers without taking opiats.I wont take them again they distort reallity, slow down my reaction time and eventually destroy internal organs. No thank you. I'll work on getting my anger down. If I can find a mental way to deal with the pain I'll be Ok. I'll go back to ejoying my hobbies, enjoying people. I suppose this is why SSRIs don't work for me. Celexa is the only one that doesn't make me violent. Any way this is my problem and I'll deal with it best as I can. Thank you for your concern.
Davit.
Sunny 123

I'm so sorry. It makes me sad to think what you are going through. I made friends with a fellow in the hospital who had cronic back pain and suffered from depression and a tendancy toward suicide. His sister in law said I should phone him and talk to him since we were somewhat in the same boat. Unfortunatly he was already dead of an overdose so I couldn't. I'll never know if I could have helped. The older I get the more friends and aquaintenances I lose. We must have some sort of built in ability to cope but it still hurts. My first experience with anti depressants was when my Dad died. I felt so helpless, there was nothing I could do for him. I tryed to keep busy but it didn't help much. I eventually quit my job and moved to another provence. I had to see a psychiatrist because I couldn't cry. I couldn't let go. I still think there should have been more I could have done. I think my subcontious may be the cause of my ups and downs. Any way I tell myself this is a normal part of life and it will pass and if others can live with it so should I, but still.......!
Keep posting, it's good to know I'm not alone.
Davit
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  yes, I feel up and down moods too.  I have been depressed with deaths in the family (2 brothers when I was a teenager and a sister of cancer, then my father) and right now a best friend has only days to live - cancer.  I know what you mean about starting something.  It feels as though it's for no use at all, it may be just a keep busy project and who cares anyway.  I found though that volunteering helps me think of others, not dwell on my own problems. I'm a creative person, so I start a project which will be of benefit - shelves in a closet, for example, or clean out the basement. Then I can see a concrete result of my efforts and I feel proud of myself that I can do those things. Eventually my mood changes - I do try to understand what I'm going through, and why, was there a trigger? that sort of thing...right now I know I'm sad because of my friend's suffering (which is a normal reaction and I try not to be hard on myself right now)- nothing I can do to help her but be there and hold her hand, say some prayers, support her husband.  And of course, winter is coming, not keen on the cold at all. I am going to force myself to walk the dog even if it's short walk just around the block. Keep posting, it helps. Good luck.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,

Thank you for sharing what you experience. I'm not sure if you've ever checked out our depression site yet. Although panic and depression sometimes get associated together, there are some major differences. Check out our depression site and work through some of the program, it will be able to answer your questions and will also help you to deal with depression in the future.

Members, what have you done to get yourself out of a depressive state?

Samantha, Health Educator
Hi Samantha. 

The way it was explained to me was that when you have a major depressive event it builds a pathway to the mind bipassing all the checks and stops that it would normally have to pass. If this is so then the next time it has a pretty much free run. The question I have is, is it possible to put all the controls back quickly? I know there is a lot of truth to the saying that time heals all and it does. The other question is does depression cause permanent chemical changes? I have to take 3 grams of Calcium every day or I get extreme agitation. This bring up the question, do I not absorb it or do I just need more for the neurotransmitters. I am not bipolar (according to my doc) but I have similar ups and downs though for shorter periods and not so strongly. I have been trying to find a chemical reason for this and haven't so far. Like today I want but don't want to go to town. I'm being pulled two ways and it's annoying. Is it true we are what we eat? Am I feeding my mind some chemical it doesn't like or worse yet since I eat little during a depressive state an I starving it of something it needs? It is very frustrating to have won the battle against panic only to find myself sitting in a chair all day because I'm too depressed to do any thing. I know exactly what set off this case of depression. (having the Doctor say I may have infection again) I want to know why I can't accept it and deal with it like I do with Panic. I don't seem to have any warning, it just shows up, which makes me think there is a chemical reason for it besides the fact that every thing the mind does is chemical. I can live with this, (work around it) but I would rather not. So any thoughts or ideas would greatly be appreciated. Besides I think depression and panic are too closely related. What do the rest of you people do to pull yourself out of this state? I really could use some help here. And no suggestion is too silly to consider. 

Davit
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Depression is associated with a number of specific problems with the balance of a number of specific neurotransmitters as well as physical, behavioral and psychological symptoms. It makes sense that the chemistry of the brain is changed in depression. We now know that the body and the brain are tied together. How we feel, think and behave are all related to changes in chemicals in the brain.

Perhaps more importantly, it seems that experiencing depression actually changes how the brain responds to stress. It seems that once a person has had one episode of depression, their brain shows an exaggerated stress response to relatively minor stressors. In other words, while the initial episode of depression may be triggered by a major negative life event, later episodes of depression may be triggered by a minor negative life event. Perhaps this is why depression can often become a chronic problem.

Role transitions (major changes in your life) often trigger later episodes of depression. All of our lives involve stress and transitions that present us with both challenges and opportunities. One of the best ways to combat future episodes of depression is to anticipate situations in which you are likely to become depressed in the future (transitions) and do some planning for how you are going to cope. 

Members, How do you deal with change?

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: