Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

the garden-keeping busy

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I never saw this post till now, I didn't have a computer in the hospital. I was so badly drugged and so close to dying It wouldn't have mattered. I didn't have the energy to type and could barely lift my arms. I didn't have to, I was fed by IV.
I lost 20 pounds in a week. I did what I always did going into hospital. I went into neutral and nothing mattered. A coping skill but not a healthy one. 
I will always miss her but the pull of family is strong. I only wish she could have taken her much loved mountains with her. I didn't have family to share. Last I heard she married a lovely man she met by chance. I hope they have a garden.
I hope she took some of the peace and some of the casual style with her. I hope she has fond memories of her visit. The trail around the ponds must have meant something for her to use it for avatar. It is a fine wide trail with a bench overlooking one of the ponds. A very peaceful place. I love it here but I have no family to miss. This is my safe harbour and it got me through years of panic attacks and gave me hope when there was no hope left.
I hope everyone has a safe harbour.

Davit
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunny,

Glad to hear you are feeling some peace during this time and taking care of yourself.  Being surrounded by beautiful nature as you are and planting and gardening is certainly healing!

Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  With my eye hurting and half open, I couldn't and did not want to drive the distance to see Davit.  So together we decided that I needed a break from the hospital and should stay home for a few days.  Today is day 4 of my rest period.  I plan to go in a couple of days, my eye is just about better.  Although I would like to be there with him we both know 2.5 hrs. there and and have to drive that back every day is a lot especially when it strains my eyes.  

My self-care is this:  I planted the carrots and the onions (I didn't buy enough, apparently I needed 400! and I only planted around 200).  These last us all winter.  I have 4 more trees to plant - they are walnut, butternut.   I will also clear out a small garden for the shade loving plants.  I still have the sunflowers to plant and peonies and well, the list goes on....brussell sprouts, brocolli and cabbage, cauliflower.  So, I'm very busy but I do take time out breaks and if I am tired, I quit for the day.  I love to hear the birds and am enjoying the outdoors too.  My dog is close beside me and keeps me company. (wish the mosquitoes took a hike) .  I've been enjoying the asparagus and have preserved some for when Davit comes home.  Evenings are a bit quiet without him but we talk on the phone and are both grateful we can do so.

Someone called to ask if I needed help with the garden and I said I may take him up on his offer.  It isn't free, I would have to pay by the hour, but still it is helpful.  I may just ask him to rototill the garden where some things need to be planted. 

One thing I have noticed is that I still haven't completely relaxed from my other life style.  I still expect the phone to ring about meetings and agendas and committees, etc.  I guess that will take a bit more time.  I don't miss any of it though!  This is great, I don't have to dress up or wear make up (well, I know I didn't have to wear make up before, but wanted to) and everything is so casual now.  This is certainly less stressful.

Sunny

Reading this thread: