Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Summer Reading

12 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The idea of reading books on a laptop or other device for some has enabled them to be able to enjoy reading again...I have run into many people in the outside world and on line that have failing eyesight and this form of reading has enabled them to continue to enjoy reading a good book again....It is not for everyone..but for those that need it, it is a welcome choice...Most people would prefer to read a book in its paper form but for some people this is there only choice and they realize that change is necessary if they want to continue to enjoy there life..As we age and our bodies change we need to be able to accept these changes and find ways to adapt and use the technologies available to us so that we can continue to enjoy our lives...It's really not all about getting a book for free, is about retaining our Freedom and enjoying our lives....Its really a quality of life issue for me...I read books both in the paper form and on line it really depends on if the Font Type is large enough and the line spaceing is easy for me to see and read comfortably....As for the free books which are mostly classics. There are hundreds of classics that I was not able to read when I was younger and now that I am older and have the time to read them I am doing just that and using any means necessary to do it.  I refuse to give up on life and plan on enjoying my golden years to the best of my ability...

One of the negative core beliefs that I had, was that I would never be able to read the classics..I did not have access to a lot of books when I was a child or young adult...I spent most of my time reading the encyclopedias that we had at home. My mother ordered a set of America classic books for me when I was a child and my father was enraged by this and threw the box of books at the front door of our house...He broke the front door..I was able to keep one book..For years I felt that I was not deserving of having books to read..
I am now almost 57 years old and I trying to dealt with this negative core belief about myself and am now reading the classics and am letting myself enjoy every word and every minute of it....
It is because of the CBT program and a lot of hard work on my part that I am able to enjoy my life and I do not want to waste a minute of my new found freedom....

I am going to try to read today.....

Red......
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello. It is nice to hear that exist online resources to read books for free. In my own case I prefer to read the paperback versions.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Red and ~m!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful resource. Great to hear you found the CBT program here so helpful Red!
Happy reading!

Hi ~m 

If you are interested in finding the free e readers to download you can type in these two words   kindle apps   into to your google search engine...when the page comes up look at the available sites and you will see one that says  amazon.com free kindle reading apps.You can click on it and it will give you all the information you need to know to download the free readers they have for various devices...The down load was very easy and quick..The even gave me 3 free books..I am now reading one of them called Treasure Island...
As for summer reading I also read Nora Roberts.  I am currently reading a trilogy of hers called The Key Trilogy...that I bought several years ago in paper back and I have several others in hard back too. I have finally gotten my anxiety under control enough that I can enjoying reading again...Which is a real treat for me...I have to say that this cbt program here has helped me and I am really starting to enjoy life again...
Well I gotta go now..I just wanted to touch bases with you and say it's good to hear you are enjoying your summer time reading. 

Way to go!!!!

Red

12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing this Red... who knew... free books???  I did not know you could download books without one of the e readers, much less that they are free.  Too kewl!  Where do you get the software and how computer savvy do you have to be to get it working?  

As for what I'm reading... I figure summertime is frivolous reading time.  I love a sappy beach novel  
A few of the more serious books (novels) I've read recently are:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Between Sisters by Kristin Hannah
The Search by Nora Roberts
Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Happy reading!
I have taken up reading this summer.
I just discovery that you can get free e books on line at kindle.com...I was thinking about buying a e reader and went on line to read reviews on the various e readers available and found out that you can down load the software for free on line from kindle to use on your laptop, desktop, i phone, etc. etc. as a e reader..You can also download hundreds of classic books for free to read at your leisure....This has been a real life saver for me because I can increase the type size and line spacing on any book e book I read...I don't even have to wear glasses meaning bifocals or trifocals to read now..It is so much easier on my eyes...I just downloaded the software last night and have been having a great time reading all day today....
I just thought I would share this information with everyone here and especially those of us who are getting up in years and are having a hard time reading......
I was wondering if anyone else is reading this summer to relax and what they are reading????

Well I gotta go for now and get back to my book...
Have a nice weekend everyone.....
Talk to you all later....

Red

Reading this thread: