Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,694 Members

Please welcome our newest members: aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH, Strongyogi*, TNIKKA

Self Care

13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Back to self care and making progress...

I have made a lot of progress over the last 10 days and have decided I need to take a extended break from the group for a while and concentrate on working my program ..Its what they call self care...

Take care everyone
Good luck on your journeys...

Red
aka
Sid 

Samantha and Josie,

Thanks for the encouragement..That being said...

Well,  it's off to the mall to get in my morning walk and exercise...

This self care is really turning out to be a very positive thing for me..

See you later,

Red
aka
Sid

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red/Sid,

This is a great success story and we thank you for sharing with us.

Good for you for being active in your progress!

Homework does help!

Josie, Health Educator
Today has been a really great day for me so far and it's 10 pm here..So I guess it doesn't get any better than this..

I started out the day working on some quilting projects I am finishing up..
I went to a quilt shop and got supplies to finish my project and spoke to the sales person/instructor I once had problems with today..We visited and got all caught up on whats been going on at the shop and in her life..it was a very nice experience..We are now on very good speaking terms. Plus she helped me with project and told me about a class that will be starting in July that I might like to take and she invited me to come to the shop for the free sit and sew sessions.  Next I went to the mall and got my hair trimmed and was laughing and joking with the hair stylist and had a good time and got a nice hair cut too...

These are all things I was very anxious about doing..but because I did this exposure I was able to change my anxious negative thoughts and core beliefs, into positive thoughts and core beliefs..

This all would not have been possible if I hadn't taken the time to work on my program and do what I call self care.....

Sid
aka
Red
Yesterday day I went for a nice drive in the country with my partner and really enjoyed the time we spent together.
Today I have decided to get back to basics again and am incorporating some pleasant activities into my daily life again..
I think is very important that I remember that I need to take care of me and my program and also get some enjoyment out of my life...
Basic self-care is very important part of leading a happy and healthy life..So I am going to start with the basics like making healthy meals for myself, making sure I drink enough water ever day..Making sure that I let myself relax and unwind in the evening so that I get a restful nights sleep..Enjoying a long hot shower everyday. Spending more time on my hair and makeup..and so on and so forth...

Sid
aka
Red

13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for reminding us of the important for self-care sid. Self-care will definitely play a big role in your progress and is something that can often get overlooked on a day to day basis. 

Members, please share your important self-care tips.

Samantha, Health Educator
Davit,

Yes there is a fine line here and I guess it is about having balance in ones life too..

I forgot and left out one of the things they had listed under self care and taking time for yourself..

"Speaking with family and friends"

And I want to add to that list...

Speaking with and spending some quality with time your spouse, partner, family and friends and also making new friends in the physical world out there..

I wonder if anyone else has anything they would like to add to there self care list?

Sid
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sid,

When a person gets better it is very easy to slip into over caring for others. We want others to get better just like us and so we start looking for ways to help. This is good but it can sneak up and when it does and starts to cause anxiety it is called Vicarious Traumatization. It just takes a bit of time off is all. We can go back to helping after the pressure is off. I cycle through this all the time and I am still okay although when it happens it can be a bit disturbing.
Just remember the best way to help is to first help yourself so you can help without sliding back.

Davit.
I came across this on the main forum page again today under: Would you like to know how to better support fellow members.. There was topic there titled Self Care.  I thought I would post what it said here.

Although helping others has benefits for the helper and helped, it can be taken to the extreme.  It is possible to become too invested and then fell overwhelmed or stressed due to another member's problems. If you ever feel that you are becoming too invested in another member's problems you need to take time for yourself.

Do activities you enjoy
Practice relaxation exercises
Exercise
Read

Remember, although we all care for each other in the support group is does not help anyone to worry about another's problems. To be blunt but realistic, it is not your problem.  You need to take of yourself before you can take care of others.

Doing Self care is a problem I have been struggling with for most of my life and something I have been trying to work on.
I don't know if anyone else here struggles with Self Care but I though I would post this here for everyone to read..

Sid
ps
Well I am going to go now and do some of this self care..like I said I was going to do this weekend...

Reading this thread: